• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stuck In Suez

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do they have reverse gear

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      It amazes me that in this day and age the steering of ships that large is not totally computer-controlled, with millisecond timing to maintain course or reverse engines and stop ASAP if a course cannot be maintained, especially in confined spaces like the Suez canal.
      you mean the ten mile emergency stop??

Comment

Originally posted by DonaldJTrump View Post
        Egyptians used water cannons during the Yom Kippur War to breach the earthen ramparts of the Bar Lev Line along the Suez in '73
        Wonder if they have any of those still knocking around for re-purposing
        Yup, was thinking myself that water jets are obviously the way to go to clear that mud. With the pathetic diggers they are using, which don't even reach the bottom of the mud, they may as well be using tea spoons!

Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

The bank will just get washed into the canal and another boat will get stuck on that.

Comment

They need tons of Drain Buster, clears all blockages. Apparently.
            I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

It amazes me that in this day and age the steering of ships that large is not totally computer-controlled, with millisecond timing to maintain course or reverse engines and stop ASAP if a course cannot be maintained, especially in confined spaces like the Suez canal.
              Given it takes something like a day for them to get up to full speed, I don't think millisecond timing is the issue
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

SOP when beached is to reverse out, something that size will require a good sized tug. I'm guessing they don't want to do any further damage hence the reluctance to pull it out.

Comment

They are heavily automated, but as the FT article I linked upthread explains, it almost certainly happened because of a sudden lull in the wind it was angled against, then a hydrodynamic effect caused by part of it getting closer to the bank as a result of that. The momentum of something as huge as that, in water, means it isn't going to respond to millisecond anything; it wouldn't even react on the order of seconds.

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
                    SOP when beached is to reverse out, something that size will require a good sized tug. I'm guessing they don't want to do any further damage hence the reluctance to pull it out.
                    given that the stern is hard against the other bank, how will that work?

Comment

The ship is in safe hands, it's hanging around for timepass.

https://www.latestly.com/world/suez-...s-2390500.html

Comment

Working...
                      X