• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stuck In Suez

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by saptastic View Post
    These ships are massive. My old man once managed to book on to a cargo ship and spent about 6 weeks living in a cabin chilling en route to the Far East.I never realised this was possible but apparently it is. Still have no clue why he did it.....bizarre.
    Writer Rose George did this a few years ago, leading to her book Deep Sea and Foreign Going (published in the USA as Ninety Percent of Everything, which is the edition I have). It's very interesting; though I'm not one for travel, if for some reason I needed to, I might be tempted by this particular mode of transport

Comment

These ships are massive. My old man once managed to book on to a cargo ship and spent about 6 weeks living in a cabin chilling en route to the Far East.I never realised this was possible but apparently it is. Still have no clue why he did it.....bizarre.
      Some of those old travel documentaries have been on telly in the past year. Palin took to a cargo ship in one of them as it was the only way to get to the particular place he wanted to get to. He shared food with the crew and other passengers on it. However he didn't travel on a massive container ship.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I moved myself and a motoguzzi from Basel to Rotterdam by rhein barge a few years ago.
        only four days, but great scenery, and much more chilled than riding Mways that far.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Some of those old travel documentaries have been on telly in the past year. Palin took to a cargo ship in one of them as it was the only way to get to the particular place he wanted to get to. He shared food with the crew and other passengers on it. However he didn't travel on a massive container ship.
          I'll have to check that out am sure there are videos of travelling on a cargo ship on you tube.
          I just can't see the point unless you are a stowaway and not paying for the privilege.

Comment

I'll have to check that out am sure there are videos of travelling on a cargo ship on you tube.
            I just can't see the point unless you are a stowaway and not paying for the privilege.
            I think it's more the point that it's a novel way to get to some really random places

Comment

Damn there are some big ships backed up there. Wonder if the pirates are gonna see it as worth the journey up there.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Albert View Post
                It must have been more than a gust of wind to have any impact on something that big.
                MF had a dodgy kebab?
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

https://metro.co.uk/2021/03/24/cargo...anal-14298538/

.....so thats why it happened

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeysUncle View Post
                    Bit of a dick move?
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

MarillionFan won’t be getting his sledges in time now

Comment

Working...
                      X