• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stuck In Suez

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuck In Suez

A container ships has got stuck sideways in the Suez Canal

You can follow its progress, should there be any, at https://www.vesselfinder.com/?imo=9811000

Click image for larger version Name:	suez-canal-ship-stuck.png Views:	0 Size:	67.1 KB ID:	4153407

Credits NF (Well it is his entire post)
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

I checked this morning and it's freed.

But to have a container ship version of FlightRadar24 is something I'd not previously thought about

EDIT: I was wrong it's still stuck. It's just that the page took a while to load and initially looked like it was in open water
    Last edited by ladymuck; 24 March 2021, 08:59.

Comment

The Vessel Finder site seems to be struggling under all the unwanted attention it's getting at the moment; an alternative that seems to be coping for now is Marine Traffic, which shows that it's still there

Comment

These ships are massive. My old man once managed to book on to a cargo ship and spent about 6 weeks living in a cabin chilling en route to the Far East.I never realised this was possible but apparently it is. Still have no clue why he did it.....bizarre.

Comment

Just heard a snippet on the news that it could take two days to move the ship! That's a huge impact to shipping.

Comment

When you zoom out you can see how much it is backed up already.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by saptastic View Post
              These ships are massive. My old man once managed to book on to a cargo ship and spent about 6 weeks living in a cabin chilling en route to the Far East.I never realised this was possible but apparently it is. Still have no clue why he did it.....bizarre.
              Yep, you can see the scale in an Instagram picture from one of the crew on a ship stuck behind it on the BBC news story. You can just make out a JCB by the bows that looks like it's trying to dig it out.

"Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

More photos and a bit of video on the grauniad:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...anal-evergreen

I see it got like that due to a natty combination of high winds and a sandstorm. They weren't attempting a three point turn

Comment

It must have been more than a gust of wind to have any impact on something that big.
                  England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

Has anybody pissed off the Chinese recently?
                    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Working...
                    X