• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC scam call

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My daughter reminded me that when she was ten, she'd got a call from "Microsoft". I'd already explained to the kids how such scammers worked, so she knew immediately what was going on.

Even though she told the piece of scum that she's only ten, he persisted in trying to defraud her. She kept him on for quite a while - she has a vicious streak. Not sure where she got it from.

Our landline now goes straight to voice mail. Just in case. I've been through the records and I get about 1 scam call per day. Crazy. Thankfully, our mobile phone numbers are less available.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      I've had lots of calls from Sky Technical Department lately.

I am not a Sky customer.

What's most annoying is that they tend to call when I'm trying to do something so I can't take my time winding them up. I once had a very fun time trying to convince a scam caller that computers emit harmful waves that have to counteracted with particular crystals and I was concerned their employer wasn't taking H&S seriously by not providing them with such essential protection.

The HMRC recorded calls are really bad because they tell you to press a number to be connected to someone and I think that somehow causes you to incur charges.
      They tend to prey on women of advancing age, or so I believe...
      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

We ditched our landline a few years ago and switched to a burner phone. Never had a single nuisance call since.
        Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

I've had lots of calls from Sky Technical Department lately.

I am not a Sky customer. ..
          I am - I wish they'd phone me more often, so I can complain about slow download times!
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
            We ditched our landline a few years ago and switched to a burner phone. Never had a single nuisance call since.
            Similar. When we moved, it was cheaper to get the bundle with a land line but no calls package associated than any other broadband bundle that was on offer at the time that we wanted. Plugged the phone in for two days, nothing but scam calls, unplugged it. Brand new ex-directory number, so who's selling it?

Loving the scambaiting videos that are on Youtube at the moment.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

I am - I wish they'd phone me more often, so I can complain about slow download times!
              I'll send give them your number next time they call

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post

Similar. When we moved, it was cheaper to get the bundle with a land line but no calls package associated than any other broadband bundle that was on offer at the time that we wanted. Plugged the phone in for two days, nothing but scam calls, unplugged it. Brand new ex-directory number, so who's selling it?

Loving the scambaiting videos that are on Youtube at the moment.
                Numbers get reused. I doubt it's actually new.

Comment

Numbers get reused. I doubt it's actually new.
                  Get a rape alarm & a towel. Alarm next to the mouthpiece, Wrap towel around. Pull pin & laugh.

Ask them what they are wearing.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I had one of these - I'd had a bad day, so took the moment to have a little chat with them and let off a little steam. Took him about 10 solid seconds to respond and call me a word before ending the call

Comment

Working...
                    X