• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC scam call

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC scam call

HMRC scam call from 0113 868 4691 recorded by an American voice talking about getting a lawyer.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    HMRC scam call from 0113 868 4691 recorded by an American voice talking about getting a lawyer.
    Yes we get loads of scam calls and the numbers are always invented. It's got so bad I've rerouted all numbers not in my contacts list to the answer service for my VOIP service. Strangely they never leave a message

Comment

I've had lots of calls from Sky Technical Department lately.

I am not a Sky customer.

What's most annoying is that they tend to call when I'm trying to do something so I can't take my time winding them up. I once had a very fun time trying to convince a scam caller that computers emit harmful waves that have to counteracted with particular crystals and I was concerned their employer wasn't taking H&S seriously by not providing them with such essential protection.

The HMRC recorded calls are really bad because they tell you to press a number to be connected to someone and I think that somehow causes you to incur charges.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        I've had lots of calls from Sky Technical Department lately.

I am not a Sky customer.

What's most annoying is that they tend to call when I'm trying to do something so I can't take my time winding them up. I once had a very fun time trying to convince a scam caller that computers emit harmful waves that have to counteracted with particular crystals and I was concerned their employer wasn't taking H&S seriously by not providing them with such essential protection.

The HMRC recorded calls are really bad because they tell you to press a number to be connected to someone and I think that somehow causes you to incur charges.
        I have no idea how the various telecoms companies get away with paying companies abroad that are involved in crime. Surely they have to avoid money laundering etc.

Charging users where scammers ask you to press a key should be banned if the originator is not known to the telecom company.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Got a few automated scam HMRC calls lately, saying that I have to pay £500 now or else the police will come within an hour to arrest me. Must be terrifying for vulnerable and elderly people.

Comment

There's a "your NI number has been stolen" scam doing the rounds too at the moment. I've had that a few times on my mobile ... the number showing is a UK mobile number, which is clearly fake, but they are getting better at it and must fool enough people to make the effort worthwhile.

And I get a few car crash ones each month too ... If I have time I do talk to them. My fave windup is saying that given I was drunk when I crashed and people died how will they get the insurance company to pay up lol

If I don't have time I just call them c**ts . That normally ends the call quite quickly
            I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Had an automated call on Sunday (Indian accent) saying my Internet connection will be cut off in 24 hours due to virus activity.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

I get calls from "Amazon Prime", "BT" etc on a regular basis.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I just heard this -

BBC News - BBC reporter records phone call with fraudster

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56543849
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Bit of a linky cockup there SE:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/business-56543849

and the numbers are always invented
                    Way back when I first got a call blocking phone I used to add scam numbers to the block list but soon realised it was a waste of time. Pity there's no way this can be tackled.
                    Last edited by xoggoth; 27 March 2021, 09:56.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                    X