• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rishi to the rescue

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rishi to the rescue

UK digital skills shortage risks Covid recovery as young people shun IT courses

Exclusive: Employers fear growing mismatch between rising demand for skills and falling supply of trained recruits

Britain’s economic recovery from Covid-19 is at threat from a looming digital skills crisis caused by a sharp fall in the number of young people taking IT courses, a report has said.

A study by the Learning and Work Institute found less than half of UK employers believed new entrants to the workforce were arriving with the necessary advanced digital skillset.

The mismatch between the rising demand for digital skills and the supply of sufficiently trained recruits was already costing the economy billions of pounds and the potentially “catastrophic” gap would widen over time without urgent action.”

https://www.theguardian.com/business...hun-it-courses

If only Rishi knew someone he could call on to help with a steady flow of highly skilled IT graduates
    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Hate crap like this. Just let capitalism do it's thing. If there is a real shortage let the wages increase organically which will incentive more people to start training in the area, people with tech skills who have left the industry to come back, and companies to become more efficient/increase productivity.

Comment

Rishi is going for kapitalism - when wages rise companies will outsauce...

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
          Hate crap like this. Just let capitalism do it's thing. If there is a real shortage let the wages increase organically which will incentive more people to start training in the area, people with tech skills who have left the industry to come back, and companies to become more efficient/increase productivity.
          That's from the Enid Blyton book of Capitalism. In the real world, it means the granting of visas from other countries to fill the 'skills gap' and undercut anyone who's left.

When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Young people aren't doing IT because it's hard, boring work which pays quite modestly thanks to, well you guys know.

Half of the people on my teams are over 50 these days.

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
              That's one scenario, but the other scenario is that companies are so loaded up with debt so they can't afford it and simply go out of business, which would also match the supply to the demand.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
                Young people aren't doing IT because it's hard, boring work which pays quite modestly thanks to, well you guys know.

Be honest - would you recommend your children to go into IT?
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post

Hey, don't knock the 50 year olds .....

Team of 6 I'm in, we're all over 50. They did bring in a young guy whilst I was off caring for Mrs W but he'd gone before I got back so I never actually met him.
                  I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

We've got a token young lad on our project. He's probably in his 30's I'd guess?

Comment

Working...
                    X