• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Rishi to the rescue"

Collapse

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by mattster View Post

To be fair, they are extremely good at using smartphones.
    Until they get out of space or stop working

Leave a comment:

• reddog
    replied
    Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
    Hate crap like this. Just let capitalism do it's thing. If there is a real shortage let the wages increase organically which will incentive more people to start training in the area, people with tech skills who have left the industry to come back, and companies to become more efficient/increase productivity.
    Agree, Personally I got into I.T. in 1999 because the salaries I was hearing about seemed pretty attractive.

I am always sceptical about reports saying there isn't enough I.T. labour etc. if you dig deep you often find the report is comissioned by someone who will have s direct or indirect benefit from importing I.T. resources from another country.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied

Ahh testers.....

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Did you not understand that the strange curly symbol at the end of my sentence implied it was a question? <== look there's another one. Maybe answer the question instead of having a tantrum.
    For your clarity, I didn't express a preference for anything or imply one. It's a shame one of the ten commandments wasn't 'thou shalt not be a c**t', cause it would certainly make your posts less irritating.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by TestMangler View Post

Did I actually express a desire for anything in my post or did you just make that up ?
    Did you not understand that the strange curly symbol at the end of my sentence implied it was a question? <== look there's another one. Maybe answer the question instead of having a tantrum.

Leave a comment:

• mattster
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post

I would say that it's partly true. I meet youngsters who only know how to use a smartphone and have no interest beyond that.

Leave a comment:

• mallisarealperson
    replied
    Originally posted by _V_ View Post

I want a system that puts the health and well being of its citizens first. If you can convince me a big multinational that pays it's tax via offshore tax arrangements and hires the cheapest non-local people to perform the work is best for the UK, then lets support this great concept.
    Well said.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    UK digital skills shortage risks Covid recovery as young people shun IT courses

Exclusive: Employers fear growing mismatch between rising demand for skills and falling supply of trained recruits

Britain’s economic recovery from Covid-19 is at threat from a looming digital skills crisis caused by a sharp fall in the number of young people taking IT courses, a report has said.

A study by the Learning and Work Institute found less than half of UK employers believed new entrants to the workforce were arriving with the necessary advanced digital skillset.

The mismatch between the rising demand for digital skills and the supply of sufficiently trained recruits was already costing the economy billions of pounds and the potentially “catastrophic” gap would widen over time without urgent action.”

https://www.theguardian.com/business...hun-it-courses
    I would say that it's partly true. I meet youngsters who only know how to use a smartphone and have no interest beyond that.

Leave a comment:

• Andy2
    replied
    A better paying profession than IT is legal profession where lawyers earn hundreds of pounds per hour
    why don't they issue visas to bring in loads of lawyers from abroad

Leave a comment:

• mattster
    replied
    Originally posted by _V_ View Post

I want a system that puts the health and well being of its citizens first. If you can convince me a big multinational that pays it's tax via offshore tax arrangements and hires the cheapest non-local people to perform the work is best for the UK, then lets support this great concept.
    I want the same as you, or at least a system that puts workers above capital (or even just on an equal footing would be nice). I'm not necessarily opposed to immigration - it's essential for all sorts of reasons - but we can't run a country long term by simply importing all of the skills we need. We need to upskill our own population, and to some extent I think you need a skills shortage to help instigate that through higher wages that incentivise people into the profession, incentivise companies to invest in training etc.

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied

So you want capitalism in handcuffs, where employers are forced to hire locally even if they cost more and are worse?
    Did I actually express a desire for anything in my post or did you just make that up ?

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied

That is the question - what do we want? Do we want a system that puts GDP of the nation above all else, even if this means importing cheap workers to get it done, or do we want a system that tries to employ as many citizens as possible, even if that is a suboptimal solution in terms of GDP growth?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

So you want capitalism in handcuffs, where employers are forced to hire locally even if they cost more and are worse?
    Well if we bring them here and give them in work benefits so companies can onshore cheaply to pay tax only offshore would you call that a win?

Leave a comment:

• mattster
    replied

That is the question - what do we want? Do we want a system that puts GDP of the nation above all else, even if this means importing cheap workers to get it done, or do we want a system that tries to employ as many citizens as possible, even if that is a suboptimal solution in terms of GDP growth?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by TestMangler View Post

That's from the Enid Blyton book of Capitalism. In the real world, it means the granting of visas from other countries to fill the 'skills gap' and undercut anyone who's left.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X