• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are the Judge

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post

And? Were you trying to make a point?
    You could be accused of sex discrimination and permanently removed from the company/organisation.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

The correct answer to question 1 is "I don't open the door because you are a lady, I do it because my father taught me to be a gentleman!

I would normally push the door ajar for anyone following me reasonably closely. I might hold it if it doesn't result in the hallway hundred metre dash, especially if their hands are full. I normally hold the door for parents with prams and delivery folk with trolleys.

Though to be fair I do sometimes have a quick look at a nice arse as it passes through the door. Sorry ladies!

As Halo says context is important if I know the person well a "darn you scrub up well", "green really is your colour" or "oh I love that dress/shirt" is perfectly acceptable and would probably be said to both sexes.

If you don't know the person and they aren't a date I would avoid personal comments.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Scenario 1

Hold the door open. I'll do it for everyone, it doesn't have to be female. Yes I have had snotty remarks about 'I am quite capable of opening a door' in the past which is really annoying but is a drop in the ocean to those that either don't mind or are grateful so just let it slide and carry on.

Scenario 2

As others have said then it really depends on how well you know them. Hi good to see you, you look great, come sitdown/get a drink etc. Nothing more than a polite intro that is applied to all.

Loads situations where the above may change but as we were give useless list of options for a fairly pointless post it's not worth it going in to.

The whole problem with the OP's post is that it's specifically aimed at females, particularly good looking ones so i'd suggest they stem from the OP's problems and inappropriate behaviour than a valid discussion point.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

As far as scenario 1 goes, why would it matter if I know them or not? My gut feeling would be to just hold the door open regardless, however there seems to be an increasing likelihood that this reaction might cause offence in some quarters nowadays even though it never seems to have done in the past. THAT is the point I was trying to make. What has really changed to now make such a gesture offensive to so many?
          Really? I've never known anyone get upset for having a door held open for them. Maybe it's just you, and people see you as creepy.

As for my answer (not that you care as you're just trolling) I always hold the door open. Whether it be a woman or a man following me, and whether I know them or not. It's called being polite.
          I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

You could be accused of sex discrimination and permanently removed from the company/organisation.
            So in your opinion telling someone that you are appreciative of how they look at a works do could get you fired and see you accused of sexual discrimination?

And would the same be true if you met them outside of work at a bar or club?

It really does make the whole process of interacting with the opposite sex even more of a minefield than it ever was if that can be justified.

No wonder the birth rates and marriage rates are dropping like stones.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

As for scenario 2, again I'd act the same whether male or female and depending how well I know the person.

This is where your sexism is showing through. You're assuming we should act differently to a man as we would a woman. It's really simple Spuddy, don't look at the sex of the person, just treat everyone the same
              I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

So in your opinion telling someone that you are appreciative of how they look at a works do could get you fired and see you accused of sexual discrimination?

And would the same be true if you met them outside of work at a bar or club?

It really does make the whole process of interacting with the opposite sex even more of a minefield than it ever was if that can be justified.

No wonder the birth rates and marriage rates are dropping like stones.

That's caused by too much oestrogen in the water supply, it's turning some blokes into fannies!
                Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                  Really? I've never known anyone get upset for having a door held open for them. Maybe it's just you, and people see you as creepy.
                  It's weird but it does happen. Very very infrequently though.
                  As for my answer (not that you care as you're just trolling) I always hold the door open. Whether it be a woman or a man following me, and whether I know them or not. It's called being polite.
                  Correct. But there is that really difficult grey area where the person is just too far away they feel they need to hurry up or not far enough that the door hasn't closed behind you before they get to it. Proper social etiquette nightmare that is.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

This is where your sexism is showing through. You're assuming we should act differently to a man as we would a woman.
                    Well I can't speak on behalf of everyone, but I only tend to find the women aesthetically attractive. But if a good looking guy turns your head then knock yourself out. Takes all sorts I suppose.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Right, early weekend beckons. Outta here!!

Comment

Working...
                      X