• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I don't like your racism, Sam I am

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't like your racism, Sam I am

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ndertones.html

Now Dr. Seuss is canceled: Virginia school system drops children's favorite from Read Across America day because of 'racial undertones' in his writing
    • Loudoun schools spokesman Wayde B. Byard confirmed to The Washington Post that they have 'shifted the emphasis' of March 2 Read Across America day
    • That means the day will not celebrate the much loved Seuss stories 'exclusively'
    • 'Research in recent years has revealed strong racial undertones,' Byard said
    • That came following a 2019 report called 'The Cat is Out of the Bag: Orientalism, Anti-Blackness, and White Supremacy in Dr. Seuss's Children's Books'
    • Read Across America Day had traditionally focused on Seuss books
    • But since 2017 the focus has shifted to 'Celebrating a Nation of Diverse Readers'
    • Learning for Justice is behind the calls to cancel Dr Seuss, Fox News reports
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Who cares?

Comment

Oh look, the Daily Fail are printing lies again!
      https://www.washingtonpost.com/educa...drseuss-books/
      England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Albert View Post
        Where did they say the books were banned? They used to be the flagship books but are now not. This is because a pressure groups 'analysis' suggests the race and sex of the made up beings and talking cats was predominantly white and male. Do you know of any Thing or Grinch gender experts?
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Albert View Post
          Daily Fail readers are constantly outraged about things that aren't true. It's how they sell newspapers.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

The decision was based in part on the reasoning in the book "Was the Cat in the Hat Black". In the Washington Post article the author of that book claims that while Dr Seuss spoke out against racism, and stories such as Horton Hears a Who is overtly anti-racists, nonetheless racist tropes did come into some of his books - The Cat in the Hat being one of them.

Apparently it's to do with black face minstrels, and is also allegedly perpetuated in Bugs Bunny and Mickey Mouse. I don't see it, but I suspect it's something that would only be apparent to an American scholar, and possible only a black American scholar who has grown up within American racism.

On a lighter note, concerning racism

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

Daily Fail readers are constantly outraged about things that aren't true. It's how they sell newspapers.
              Exactly the same is true of nominally left wing papers like the Independent and the Daily Slaver (formerly the Grauniad). it's just that different things outrage _their_ readers!
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

Exactly the same is true of nominally left wing papers like the Independent and the Daily Slaver (formerly the Grauniad). it's just that different things outrage _their_ readers!
                So what kind of issues would that be? Asking for Paddy/Old Greg/Sue Ellen
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

So what kind of issues would that be? Asking for Paddy/Old Greg/Sue Ellen
                  A mod inciting a Brexit post outside the Brexit sub-forum? Tut tut
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

The left of centre broadsheets actually fact check just like their right of centre counterparts.

A left leaning comparator of The Fail would be something like The Mirror or more likely The Morning Star.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X