• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

StarLink

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FTTC is a dead end designed to help BT hold onto its line rental tax. FTTP is expensive to rural areas because of the cabling costs for relatively few subscribers. I'm on FiWi where radio connects me to a fibre backbone. Radio is much cheaper and quicker to install

If StarLink get to deliver reliable 100Mbs+ connections with low latency then it'll be attractive to a lot of rural businesses and households and at 1GBs+ probably a no brainer

Comment

Originally posted by tazdevil View Post
      FTTC is a dead end designed to help BT hold onto its line rental tax. FTTP is expensive to rural areas because of the cabling costs for relatively few subscribers. I'm on FiWi where radio connects me to a fibre backbone. Radio is much cheaper and quicker to install

If StarLink get to deliver reliable 100Mbs+ connections with low latency then it'll be attractive to a lot of rural businesses and households and at 1GBs+ probably a no brainer
      Quite right. I only have a landline because you need one for broadband - I imagine it is the same for many of us. It would be nice to finally cut that particular cord.
      I don't really have a strong personal use-case for 1Gbps, but I'll think of something. Multiple 4k streaming would push you over most fibre connections right now, and I imagine that will be fairly mainstream before too long.

Comment

Working...
      X