• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

StarLink

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mattster View Post
    It will, apparently, because light travels faster through a vacuum than it does through glass.
    It won't be quicker (lower latency) from ground Location A in the City to ground Location B in New York.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

It won't be quicker (lower latency) from ground Location A in the City to ground Location B in New York.
      Well they are saying that it will, possibly by about 20ms. Whether that happens or not we will find out. Read the article I linked and watch the video if you want an explanation as to how it is possible.

Comment

It will, apparently, because light travels faster through a vacuum than it does through glass. I'll try and find the article I was reading.

Edit: Here you go: https://www.machmetrics.com/speed-bl...econds-faster/
        "Elon Musk has detailed an initial target of 20 ms, scaling down to sub 10ms of latency, but this is Starlink-only transit times."

If he can really drop latency from 70 to 40 than it would be awesome for sure.

Comment

"Elon Musk has detailed an initial target of 20 ms, scaling down to sub 10ms of latency, but this is Starlink-only transit times."

If he can really drop latency from 70 to 40 than it would be awesome for sure.
          Read the whole article. Expected 43ms total trip, vs 60ms now on the fastest dedicated fibre.

Comment

Read the whole article. Expected 43ms total trip, vs 60ms now on the fastest dedicated fibre.
            I'll believe it when I see it working and on real commercial offer.

Personally I'd only trust Sat link if there is no other real alternative.

Comment

If they can get ships hooked up and provide decent internet for the cruise market when it opens up again then that'll be a great incentive to spend half the year on a world cruise whilst earning Gives WFH (something I've done for over 20 years) a whole new meaning

Comment

I'll believe it when I see it working and on real commercial offer.

Personally I'd only trust Sat link if there is no other real alternative.
                Well on that we can finally agree, and we can also agree that the raw physics of the setup at least allow the possibility of lower latency.

I suspect this will be a world away from current satellite internet experiences, at least once the full set of satellites has been launched, with so many satellites and such a low orbit. We will see.

Comment

Well on that we can finally agree, and we can also agree that the raw physics of the setup at least allow the possibility of lower latency.
                  How consistent would it be though?

Would financial companies use inherently riskier sat feed?

If Musk gets new backhaul that cuts 20 ms for everybody then that would be worth a lot even if sometimes it won't work as consistently.

Comment

No idea, but I expect that if it works there'll be some big-bucks option to prioritise the low latency connection - I very much doubt it will be something guaranteed to all, not that anyone else would really need it.

Comment

I very much doubt it will be something guaranteed to all, not that anyone else would really need it.
                      So why would financial trading firms that want lower latency risk it?

Comment

Working...
                      X