• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

StarLink

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post

So why would financial trading firms that want lower latency risk it?
    Well I expect if you pay the extra, you get the guarantee.

Comment

Originally posted by mattster View Post
      Well I expect if you pay the extra, you get the guarantee.
      Musk will pay with his bitcoins for any packet loss

Comment

Four year lifetime on the satellites.

Won't be long before they're asking about incept dates & killing people.

Probably by dropping on their heads.
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

As a backup and as an alternate route that may mostly provide reduced latency in certain locations why wouldn't financial or other businesses want it?

Its another tool in the bag. Anything that allows people outside the south east work from home its a win.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I wonder if the kit is portable and could work, say, in the middle of the South Atlantic while bobbing about on a boat?

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              I wonder if the kit is portable and could work, say, in the middle of the South Atlantic while bobbing about on a boat?
              Having seen the kit it is definitely portable. Guy I saw using it was planning to take it with him when they go RV-ing around so... probably. But only if they have coverage of the ocean.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Sats will know where you are located and the account might have GPS coords associated with it...

Comment

Feedback from beta users online so far seems very positive, especially given the current level of service is supposed to be nowhere near what is coming. UK users reporting reliable 150Mbps, some US users occasionally getting over 200. Apparently 300 for everyone is slated by the autumn, and the ultimate goal now is 10Gbps with sub 30ms ping (https://uk.pcmag.com/networking/1312...gbps-to-10gbps). If they get anywhere near that at current pricing then it might actually become rather attractive just about anywhere. I wonder how many global users it could support?
                  I am semi rural and on standard fibre, maybe 50Mbps on a good day. I get the impression that that is as good as it is going to get for us for the forseeable, as the next step would be FTTP - quite a different proposition rollout-cost wise to FTTC.

Comment

Originally posted by mattster View Post
                    Feedback from beta users online so far seems very positive, especially given the current level of service is supposed to be nowhere near what is coming. UK users reporting reliable 150Mbps, some US users occasionally getting over 200. Apparently 300 for everyone is slated by the autumn, and the ultimate goal now is 10Gbps with sub 30ms ping (https://uk.pcmag.com/networking/1312...gbps-to-10gbps). If they get anywhere near that at current pricing then it might actually become rather attractive just about anywhere. I wonder how many global users it could support?
                    I am semi rural and on standard fibre, maybe 50Mbps on a good day. I get the impression that that is as good as it is going to get for us for the forseeable, as the next step would be FTTP - quite a different proposition rollout-cost wise to FTTC.
                    According to offcom you are doing fairly well

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...as%20(47.8Mbps).

However, Ofcom noted there is less variation in the length of copper line from the street cabinet to the user’s premises when using FTTC, thus they found that average FTTC download speeds in rural areas (43.8Mbps) were closer to those of urban areas (47.8Mbps).
                    Technical limit on FTTC is 80Mbps but 60 is more realistic.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

According to offcom you are doing fairly well

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...as%20(47.8Mbps).

Technical limit on FTTC is 80Mbps but 60 is more realistic.
                      Yeah, not too bad - we are very close to the exchange, so even though our lines are aluminium (and keep breaking), we do OK. In fact, we are so close to exchange that our "cabinet" is actually in the exchange (or just outside it, maybe). Still, unless they manage to improve the performance of FTTC itself (anything in the pipeline there? It is kind of astonishing how fast they have got it since the 1200/75 modem days on essentially the same wires), I don't really see where any further improvement is going to come fro until they go full FTTP. That is going to cost an extraordinary amount of money if they want to service people outside of the towns.

Comment

Working...
                      X