• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Finally It's time to leave the UK

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally It's time to leave the UK

After the government's handling of covid, IR35 changes in April and Brexit, the penny has finally dropped and I'm looking at an exit strategy.

I may continue to work in the UK market but living in the UK is becoming extremely untenable.

My options right now:
    - Switzerland: Thanks to brexit we can't go there right now for a contract but I'm hoping this changes in the next few months as there is demand for highly qualified professionals in my area of work.
    - Dubai: Set myself up there, pay corp tax here and zero income tax in Dubai. Sure I'll have to pay for medical insurance and other services but with NHS waiting lists does it even matter?

Can't think of any other options at present?

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post

My options right now:
    - Switzerland: Thanks to brexit we can't go there right now for a contract ...
    Why can'y you go to Switzerland on account of Brexit? It isn't in the EU.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      Why can'y you go to Switzerland on account of Brexit? It isn't in the EU.
      Have you spoken with any agencies regarding working in Switzerland? They won't consider non EU citizens. For UK contractors already there they have an agreement in place to keep them there for the time being.

Comment

cheerio!

Comment

I could leave the UK due to the crap weather, or to experience another culture for a few years, but I don't think the grass is always as green on the other side as people think.

Good luck though. Let us know how it goes
          I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

I definitely couldn't go to Dubai. Horrible place. That and I'm too pale and feeble to cope with 50 degree heat and 90% humidity in summer.

Comment

Rockall is nice.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post

Can't think of any other options at present?
                You can only think of two countries?

Seriously, though, it all depends on what are looking for, how old you are, how adventurous etc. I've spent nearly 20 years of my working life abroad, mostly Netherlands and Australia, both fun. Family brought us back in the end, but citizenship has been secured for down under and its looking more tempting by the day. We'll probably go back, eventually.

I've got a couple of mates making a decent go at the digital nomad thing, who spend most of their time in Thailand - with families, too. The world is your oyster, really, although now might not be the best time to do it. Also got a few ex-pat mates still in Sing. Good money, and not a bad lifestyle, but much harder than it was to get in at the moment so I hear.

Comment

I am considering Spain. The only thing I am concerned about are medical issues and a potentially very high medical/healthcare insurance bill.
                  Former IPSE member
                  My Website

Comment

You wont get a B permit for switzerland from 1 Jan 2021 easily I am afraid ! So please look up on how permits are granted in switzerland - You will be treated like a russian person and employes are not interested in sponsorship

Comment

Working...
                    X