• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Uber Has Lost

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uber Has Lost

Uber has lost in the Supreme Court. Their workers aren't self-employed. There is no-where for Uber to appeal to.

An Uber driver is entitled to worker status as soon as they have their app open until it is closed. They are entitled to NMW, hoilday pay and sick pay.

Supreme Court rejects Uber appeal and says drivers should be classed as workers - LBC

Supreme Court justices have ruled against Uber operating companies and concluded that drivers should be classed as workers, not independent third-party contractors.

Seven justices delivered a ruling on the latest round of a long-running fight between Uber operating companies and drivers on Friday.

Lawyers said the ruling means that drivers will be entitled to basic rights, such as paid holidays, and will have implications for others working in the gig economy.

Uber operating companies had appealed to the Supreme Court after losing three earlier rounds of the fight.
    Last edited by SueEllen; 19 February 2021, 10:06.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Good.

The gig economy has been allowed to erode worker's rights, forcing people to use Ltds who shouldn't be working that way and encouraging agencies to exploit the most vulnerable.

(We are big and ugly enough to look after ourselves).
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

This is indeed good news!

Comment

Another link - UK Supreme Court rules Uber drivers are workers - BBC News

The guy, James Farrar, who joined started the action off is being interviewed. It was because he was attacked in his car 6 years ago and Uber refused to give him/police the assailant's name even though it was recorded on the app. The guy looked through the contract and found that Uber declared him self-employed....

[Message to companies - don't piss people who work for you off as someone will take you to task.]

Uber also owes £1Billion VAT to the HMRC.
        Last edited by SueEllen; 19 February 2021, 10:16.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Uber also owes £1Billion VAT to the HMRC.
          I bet that never gets collected.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
            Good.

The gig economy has been allowed to erode worker's rights, forcing people to use Ltds who shouldn't be working that way and encouraging agencies to exploit the most vulnerable.

(We are big and ugly enough to look after ourselves).
            This may be the end of the gig economy so prices for parcel delivery, food delivery, etc will go up.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              This may be the end of the gig economy so prices for parcel delivery, food delivery, etc will go up.
              Well, I'm not really into exploiting the vulnerable just to get my takeaway as cheaply as possible.

Maybe time to start considering these things as treats rather than a divine right.

(PS. not digging at you SE.)
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."

Comment

You can see I'm slightly vexxed and indignant about this area of life...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                  Well, I'm not really into exploiting the vulnerable just to get my takeaway as cheaply as possible.

Maybe time to start considering these things as treats rather than a divine right.
                  Takeaways aren't a problem if you live in a city as you can go and get them yourself. I do as my local Indian takeaway owner explained to me in detail a few years back how the likes of Deliveroo, etc eat into his profits and he was one of the richer takeaway owners as he has multiple outlets.

The bigger problem is Amazon deliveries.

Comment

Bet Amazon, the parcel companies and just eat are worried. I wonder what Pimp plumbers will do?

Great news. However as mentioned watch delivery costs soar.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X