• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Uber Has Lost

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    But how often does one have a watch delivered? When I bought an Apple Watch, I just collected it from their shop
    Fanboi.

What is this "shop" of which you speak?
    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

But it is just an app!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        So is it the end of Amazon Prime as we know it?
        No, but free delivery might become 20-30% more expensive

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          I actually don't think they are. Amazon pay more than enough per a shift to meet minimum wage. The issue the poorer drivers seem to have is that they don't get enough shifts to pay for the van they hire on a weekly basis.

5 shifts a week and there isn't a problem. 2 shifts a week and the rent on the van that they need to pay destroys their income.

And that's the same the world over (America, India, UK and all across Europe).

What we may see is Amazon sorting out the vans themselves and dropping rates slightly to cover that cost. Either way it's not going to impact amazon that much.

That would be preferable that Amazon & similar not load their "employees" with costs.
          Last edited by vetran; 19 February 2021, 11:06.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

“A key point in the Supreme Court's ruling is that Uber has to consider its drivers "workers" from the time they log on to the app, until they log off.”

Uber drivers are workers not self employed, Supreme Court rules - BBC News

Fair play - making one available for service should get the clock started, that will be a killer to “gigs” like Deliveroo

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              When I use Deliveroo I always add a generous tip for the delivery person. It's a small gesture but I like to think it helps a little.
              Me too.
              ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                “A key point in the Supreme Court's ruling is that Uber has to consider its drivers "workers" from the time they log on to the app, until they log off.”

Uber drivers are workers not self employed, Supreme Court rules - BBC News

Fair play - making one available for service should get the clock started, that will be a killer to “gigs” like Deliveroo
                Yeah, but what you'll then get is the likes of Uber and Deliveroo playing silly buggers as happened to my eldest when he worked for Deliveroo for a while. What would happen is that he'd magically be logged out of the app for periods when it was slow and on say an 8 hour shift, eventually find out when he was paid that they only paid for 4 hours, for example. It was a giant con.

Comment

Originally posted by ShandyDrinker View Post
                  Yeah, but what you'll then get is the likes of Uber and Deliveroo playing silly buggers as happened to my eldest when he worked for Deliveroo for a while. What would happen is that he'd magically be logged out of the app for periods when it was slow and on say an 8 hour shift, eventually find out when he was paid that they only paid for 4 hours, for example. It was a giant con.

That is the sort of thing the law needs to adapt to.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                    When I use Deliveroo I always add a generous tip for the delivery person. It's a small gesture but I like to think it helps a little.
                    Since lockdown, the rabbi has to do home visits. He always receives a tip when he performs circumcisions.
                    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by ShandyDrinker View Post
                      What would happen is that he'd magically be logged out of the app for periods when it was slow and on say an 8 hour shift, eventually find out when he was paid that they only paid for 4 hours, for example. It was a giant con.
                      Will only take 5-6 years to get another Supreme Court ruling on that

Comment

Working...
                      X