• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Uber Has Lost

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Great idea. Lets build over the whole of the UK(including flood plains) so foreigners can buy UK property and leave it empty. Or more older people can buy them and let them out. Thus enslaving more young people like your daughter.

Old people are such morons. Pushing up property prices. Expecting young people to stay inside and do nothing lest they should kill some selfish old, fat git. Who does not work, only income is rental income. And bangs on about the war and how tough things were. And how they deserve that - without any thought to what young people deserve.

No wonder the UK is f**ked. I have told my children to move to Asia when they can.
    It's a bit of a myth that we're short of housing - we've got more houses per person than ever before, but poorly distributed wrt to where people want to live, and under utilised - too many pensioners rattling around in 5 bed family homes. Plenty of brown field sites available for new housing as well, if it could be properly incentivised.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      This may be the end of the gig economy so prices for parcel delivery, food delivery, etc will go up.
      Delveroo charge me 79p for food delivery- no way I’m pay a quid

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by mattster View Post
        It's a bit of a myth that we're short of housing - we've got more houses per person than ever before, but poorly distributed wrt to where people want to live, and under utilised - too many pensioners rattling around in 5 bed family homes. Plenty of brown field sites available for new housing as well, if it could be properly incentivised.
        mattster for PM!

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Or I can click a button, and the order goes right through without having a conversation with someone in a loud kitchen with bad English, and little idea if they heard my order properly
          Take your pick but the 30% fee deliveroo are charging the takeaway is coming from someone - and chances are it's not me paying for it.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            Take your pick but the 30% fee deliveroo are charging the takeaway is coming from someone - and chances are it's not me paying for it.
            You either pay it for yourself or you pay it for everyone else cos the prices are often the same :-(

I thought just eat even had a policy that it had to be the same price through just eat as in the shop.

Yep: https://www.just-eat.co.uk/priceprom...%20be%20easier.

We offer a guarantee that if you pay more for a delivery meal when ordering from Just Eat than from the restaurant direct we will give you twice the difference.
            So, if your order from Just Eat is advertised by the restaurant for less on its own website then we’ll send you double the difference in the form of a Just Eat voucher.
            "We'll pay you to dob them in!"

Comment

So I can claim my holiday pay and employee rights from all the banks I’ve worked at from the moment I logged on in the morning until I logged off?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by FIERCE TANK BATTLE View Post
                The thing is a lot of places don't offer any better alternatives. Like, my favourite Chinese is the same price if I use their website or if I use just eat or whatever. And their website is atrocious whereas just-eat's website is slick and easy to use.

He could pay someone to set up his own website if he wanted and put a bit of effort in and make it cheaper.

There's a fish and chip shop down the road that charges a 50p online fee (!) to order online. I closed the browser and went elsewhere when I found that.

Ordering food over the phone is generally terrible. Many of these places put the phone in the noisy kitchen so you can barely hear what's going on, with someone foreign that has a strong accent and less than perfect understanding of English... it all adds up to just thinking f this I dread spending 10 minutes trying to explain what I want to order down the phone and hoping they got it right.

It's a bit like companies that are too lazy to vet a few CVs instead using an agency that takes a big chunk for basically doing a bit of unskilled admin work.

---

Anyway Uber will probably just adapt, just like now to avoid IR35 I have to jump through some ridiculous hoops filling in SoWs and having them married up against project objectives and it's a giant pointless paperwork exercise to try and make it clearer I am outside IR35.

Uber will probably just switch to texting rides or something that don't require the app to be open, with a link to open the app in the text.

I suspect just eat much like credit card companies would not allow him to charge differently.

A few CVs? I used to trawl through 300 CVs for a junior post, interview 20-30 on the phone and 2-3 face to face. Those were the ones who actually wrote a coherent CV without spelling errors and had some sort of experience - the others were culled by HR.

That was probably a week- 2 weeks work or £2-6K doing it ourselves. Agencies would charge £4k (if I hired someone) and send me 6 people to telephone interview of those 2-3 would go forth to face to face.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by mattster View Post

Well actually you are wrong. The money proves it.

Tackling the under-supply of housing in England - House of Commons Library.

https://publications.parliament.uk/p...onaf/20/20.pdf

If we had sufficient available housing then rents and prices would fall that is basic economics. We are a few million dwellings short.

With the population growing at the current rate we need to build dwellings every year to accommodate them, we haven't for years.

Overview of the UK population - Office for National Statistics

Yes we have some housing that is out of circulation because of foreign investment, we can change the rules so ownership without offering them for rental has a significant cost so that they come into use in the housing market.

I assume if you want to force people out of their property because you believe they don't need it then you would agree to others taking all your money because they believe they need it more? If a little old lady is living in a 5 bedroom house she owns and is paying the council tax on that that is much the same as earning a sports car they don't need it but why shouldn't they have it they earned it and pay taxes on it.

Its funny that social housing has people living in large houses because its "their home" yet its impossible to move them so a young family can use it. We give council houses to poor people then they get a pay rise and we don't raise their rent or reconsider their entitlement.

If we build more houses values will fall, or we can relocate people & jobs so they can use houses in less popular areas, or heaven forbid we could cut demand by cutting population growth the eco solution saving the planet.

Whatever we decide we should do something soon.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    Well actually you are wrong. The money proves it.

Yes we have some housing that is out of circulation because of foreign investment, we can change the rules so ownership without offering them for rental has a significant cost so that they come into use in the housing market.

I assume if you want to force people out of their property because you believe they don't need it then you would agree to others taking all your money because they believe they need it more? If a little old lady is living in a 5 bedroom house she owns and is paying the council tax on that that is much the same as earning a sports car they don't need it but why shouldn't they have it they earned it and pay taxes on it.

Its funny that social housing has people living in large houses because its "their home" yet its impossible to move them so a young family can use it. We give council houses to poor people then they get a pay rise and we don't raise their rent or reconsider their entitlement.

If we build more houses values will fall, or we can relocate people & jobs so they can use houses in less popular areas, or heaven forbid we could cut demand by cutting population growth the eco solution saving the planet.

Whatever we decide we should do something soon.
                    No, I don't think we should be chucking granny out of her home, but we do need to think about how we can incentivise a better use of our housing resource. Maybe a land value tax, or building more pensioner friendly properties, who knows? A lot of older people would probably much prefer to live in a smaller place, preferably on one level - less heating to pay for etc. Our current incentives all run in the opposite direction, a lot of it because of the way primary residences are treated under tax law.

Supply/demand of houses is far from the only factor that affects prices, and certainly has little to do with the boom we've seen since about 2000. That's got much more to do with the supply and price of credit. We've let it get so bad in this country that there are no easy solutions any more; people will get hurt if prices stay the same or crash. Decimation of public housing is a big part of the problem as well, right to buy basically put paid to that.

Comment

Problem with "brown field sites" , is that they are brown field sites for a reason.

Same for flood plains etc.

Comment

Working...
                      X