• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Help us prevent trans-exclusionary bathroom laws in the UK!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help us prevent trans-exclusionary bathroom laws in the UK!

Toilet provision for men and women: call for evidence - GOV.UK

Consultation description
    This call for evidence launches a technical review of provision of toilets for men and women.

Women often have to face excessive queues for toilets or don’t have access to appropriate facilities that meet their needs when out. In some cases this can mean women are reluctant to go out or take trips that many take for granted.

Over recent years there has also been a trend towards replacing female only facilities with gender neutral toilets.

The review aims to address this by considering the ratio of female toilets needed versus the number for men, given the need for women to always use cubicles. It would also take into account the needs of all members of the community, to ensure there is a fair provision of accessible and gender-neutral toilets.

The review will also look at signage, which should be clearer and use gender-specific language, to avoid confusion.

Email to: [email protected]

Consultation outline: Toilet provision for men and women: call for evidence - GOV.UK

Please check both pages of this letter to edit and personalise where necessary

To whom it may concern,

I am a [e.g nonbinary person / trans person / cis man / cis woman] and after reading the recent technical consultation on ‘Toilets for men and women’ I am utterly compelled to contact you.

This consultation is a direct and violent attack on transgender and Gender Non Conforming (GNC) people’s basic human rights.

There is no evidence that cisgender people face increased violence in gender neutral toilet facilities. However, we do have evidence that almost half of trans people (48%) don’t feel comfortable using public toilets, as a result of verbal abuse, intimidation, and physical assault (LGBT in Britain Trans Report, Stonewall UK, 2018). The policing of gender in toilets is a wasteful use of government funds, serving to draw unwarranted attention to a political and prejudicial ‘debate’ resulting from a wider climate of transphobia in the UK.

As stated in the consultation: ‘The Equality Act provides that sex, age, disability and gender reassignment are protected characteristics.’ I would like to highlight that the Equality Act of 2010 also serves to protect those who are discriminated because they are wrongly perceived to be trans (including many Black women, butch women and lesbians, GNC people and intersex people), many of whom face abuse and discrimation due to a combination of racism and gender policing, and therefore rely on gender neutral toilets as a safer alternative. Whilst this is not yet in the Equality Act, GNC and nonbinary people (including disabled nonbinary people) should also be entitled to gender neutral toilets, or to their personal preference of gendered facility.

The consultation also states that “Women need safe spaces given their particular health and sanitary needs (for example, women who are menstruating, pregnant or at menopause)”. This statement completely excludes the experience of trans men, intersex people and GNC people who menstruate / are pregnant / at menopause. The government’s continued erasure of already marginalised groups of people serves to reiterate the inequality in distribution of public resources privileging cisgender people.

As a [eg. nonbinary person] I have never, ever felt unsafe or at risk from being in gender neutral toilet spaces.

[Please feel free to add personal experience here]

The consultation states that you want to ensure that everyone is fairly served. I urge you to take seriously the negative effects that the removal of gender neutral toilets will have on the following groups - Black women, lesbian / butch women, trans and nonbinary people, GNC people, and disabled trans people - all of whom experience adverse levels of violence due to the effects of gender policing, and the compounded effect of racism, which threatens many women of colour due to racist ideas of femininity.

So I urge you not to remove gender neutral toilets. These spaces are not only safe but absolutely vital in the protection of so many people’s basic human rights. These spaces simply must not be taken away from marginalised groups of people who already face disproportionate levels of violence and abuse.

It is apparent that through this consultation the government has aligned itself with groups who intend to curb the rights of transgender people in the UK. It is dog whistle politics, focusing on the scapegoating of marginalised people rather than the issue at hand; increasing access to public toilet facilities. Gender neutral toilets are beneficial for a range of people and situations - for example, parents with children of a different gender; those who care for people of a different gender; some disabled people who have a personal assistant of a different gender, and both cisgender and transgender people who experience gender presentation scrutiny in public spaces.

The government claims that the intention for this consultation is to provide ‘dignity and respect for all’. I demand that they truly provide this dignity and respect by listening to the voices and needs of trans people and their allies.

Regards,

[NAME]

Based on your extract and the example letter, I'm not sure what the intention is.

Generally, I think it's better to have all-cubicle gender neutral toilets where possible. It's a more efficient use of space.

On private premises it can be quite safe even if it does mean that more frequent cleaning is required because men pee on the seat (especially in establishments where alcohol is consumed).

In public toilets (e.g. in parks, train stations etc.) that are less well monitored, I am not sure I would feel at all safe in a multi-cubicled toilet block that was gender neutral. However, that can be dealt with through good design of the space.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      Based on your extract and the example letter, I'm not sure what the intention is.

Generally, I think it's better to have all-cubicle gender neutral toilets where possible. It's a more efficient use of space.

On private premises it can be quite safe even if it does mean that more frequent cleaning is required because men pee on the seat (especially in establishments where alcohol is consumed).

In public toilets (e.g. in parks, train stations etc.) that are less well monitored, I am not sure I would feel at all safe in a multi-cubicled toilet block that was gender neutral. However, that can be dealt with through good design of the space.
      CCTV in the gender neutral multi-cubicled toilet block would solve all your problems.

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
        CCTV in the gender neutral multi-cubicled toilet block would solve all your problems.
        How would that fix everything then?

A person goes into the toilet. Someone follows them, pushes them into a cubicle, does whatever it is they decided they wanted to do, leaves. The attacked person may or may not be dead.

How did CCTV stop that from happening?

Comment

where I live girls slash in the boys pisser if the need to anyway.
          Boys slash anywhere if the boys pisser is full of girls.

I think there are bigger things to worry about.
          It's like that Jessica Yannis tosspot in Canada, who went round suing Vietnamese beauty parlours for refusing to wax her balls.

I'm all up for people doing what they want to themselves, and with who they want, when they want.
          And for them to be protected whilst doing it.
          But they're picking the wrong battles.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

I am a [e.g nonbinary person / trans person / cis man / cis woman]
            No I'm not
            and after reading the recent technical consultation on ‘Toilets for men and women’ I am utterly compelled to contact you.
            I'm definitely not

This consultation is a direct and violent attack on transgender and Gender Non Conforming (GNC) people’s basic human rights.
            No it isn't.

HTH
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

The main issue isn't provision for men, women and transgendered individuals but the lack of toilet provision in general in the UK.

In some places pubs and/or restaurants and/or a train station are the only toilets that are available to use.

With some train stations the toilets are behind the ticket barriers so you can't use them.

I've been eating in a cafe and have watched more than once a person with a disability having to ask the cafe owner if they could use the toilet, only because there were no other toilets around.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Some pubs and/or restaurants only have space for one toilet so it is gender neutral.

There a community toilet scheme where you can downloads lists from councils or google them, and find out which establishments allow members of the public to use their toilets for free.

This is because children and some people with disabilities find it hard to go out without access to a toilet.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  The main issue isn't provision for men, women and transgendered individuals but the lack of toilet provision in general in the UK..
                  I think that's a good point. You should never have to pay in my view. Your human right to express your gender is all well and good, but what about your human right to perform your bodily functions with dignity (i.e. take a dump)
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Woosh....

Comment

Working...
                    X