• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The BBC would cost more as a streaming service.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've never understood the contempt for the BBC - it's something to be immensely proud of and an actual POSITIVE on the greater world, made in Britain.

Every single country I've lived and worked in, including the "insular" ones , have had BBC world service broadcasts.

Asking people "would you prefer not to pay for something" is always going to get a majority saying yes .

Selling the BBC as tied to a "TV Licence" is probably a language problem nowadays - it's so much more than TV - I think I use the internet and radio much more nowadays, as TV becomes less relevant.

Comment

BBC should be funded by general taxation rather than separate small tax that causes so much contention (and wasted court time).

It's still a tax if they call it "fee" or "charge" or "duty" or "levy" or (forced) "subscription" - it's a fooking TAX, so let's treat it as such.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        As it links to national newspapers and copies the opening excepts from their stories about the BBC being biased why would it need one.

a bit like this.

nhttps://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/half-of-britons-feel-the-bbc-does-not-share-their-values-gm0z9cfxf?--xx-meta=denied_for_visit%3D0%26visit_number%3D0%26vis it_remaining%3D0%26visit_used%3D0&--xx-mvt-opted-out=false&--xx-uuid=2067ea4c55068fdbb4c2deeb673cd101&ni-statuscode=acsaz-307
        Well course they do, because half of Britons with time to answer polls like that , are the same half that I won't shine the light on.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          BBC should be funded by general taxation rather than separate small tax that causes so much contention (and wasted court time).

It's still a tax if they call it "fee" or "charge" or "duty" or "levy" or (forced) "subscription" - it's a fooking TAX, so let's treat it as such.
          It's not a tax any more than a gym membership is a tax.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            It's not a tax any more than a gym membership is a tax.
            Bad analogy - it's a tax because you have to pay it even if you don't watch BBC

Comment

Bad analogy - it's a tax because you have to pay it even if you don't watch BBC
              No you don't. It's like having to pay a full gym membership just to use the swimming pool.

Comment

No you don't. It's like having to pay a full gym membership just to use the swimming pool.
                Terrestial TV is free, what payment you talking about? It's the tax for the "priviledge" of watching TV in the 21st century, they give you small discount if you are blind though, very nice people.

Swimming pool was extra anyway in places that I've been signed up to.

I support actual funding of BBC, but it should be done from general taxation to avoid creating small taxes that piss off a lot of people (and clog up courts).

Comment

you aren't doing very well with your analogies are you?

No you do need a TV license under the following circumstances, you have to pay it even if you do not watch the BBC.

Legal framework - TV Licensing ™.

A TV Licence is a legal permission to install or use television receiving equipment to watch or record television programmes as they are being shown on TV or live on an online TV service, and to download or watch BBC programmes on demand, including catch up TV, on BBC iPlayer. This could be on any device, including TVs, desktop computers, laptops, mobile phones, tablets, games consoles, digital boxes, DVD, Blu-ray and VHS recorders. This applies regardless of which television channels a person receives or how those channels are received. The licence fee is not a payment for BBC services (or any other television service), although licence fee revenue is used to fund the BBC.
                  So even if you swim only in the ITV pool you have to pay.

They had the opportunity when we switched to DVB to make every device include a CAM card. The BBC could become a subscription service like SKY.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Terrestial TV is free, what payment you talking about? It's the tax for the "priviledge" of watching TV in the 21st century, they give you small discount if you are blind though, very nice people.
                    You don't have to watch terrestrial TV, so it's not a tax.

Comment

Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
                      I've never understood the contempt for the BBC - it's something to be immensely proud of and an actual POSITIVE on the greater world, made in Britain.

Every single country I've lived and worked in, including the "insular" ones , have had BBC world service broadcasts.

Asking people "would you prefer not to pay for something" is always going to get a majority saying yes .

Selling the BBC as tied to a "TV Licence" is probably a language problem nowadays - it's so much more than TV - I think I use the internet and radio much more nowadays, as TV becomes less relevant.
                      The BBC is definitely a bit woke, but having seen the offerings in many other countries, it's still streets ahead of anything else. CBeebies alone is worth the license fee.

Swiss TV is publicly funded, more expensive than the the UK Licence, is not very good and has adverts. It's almost impossible to avoid paying.
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X