• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DOOM: wealth tax by stealth (not really)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DOOM: wealth tax by stealth (not really)

“ The Bank of England took a step closer to introducing negative interest rates for the first time on Thursday, after it gave lenders six months to prepare for such a move.

Threadneedle Street’s monetary policy committee (MPC) voted unanimously to keep the official interest rate at historically low levels while it agreed to set the deadline for banks to prepare themselves after policymakers said they were ready to make negative lending rates part of their toolkit.

According to the minutes of the MPC meeting, officials were split over asking lenders to put in place the measures needed to facilitate negative rates on loans and mortgages, with some fearing it would signal to investors that the central bank planned to move ahead in the next few months.”

UK banks given six months to prepare for possibility of negative interest rates | Interest rates | The Guardian

What a load of crap the whole thing is

So my base rate + 0.5% tracker mortgage could go negative.

Will the bank pay me interest, instead of me paying them?

Of course they wont, but they should.
    Last edited by Fraidycat; 5 February 2021, 12:37.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

Will the bank pay me, instead of me paying them?

Is your tracker based on the BoE base rate or your lender's base rate? I very much doubt your lender has to drop their rate even if the BoE does (read the small print).

I remember when I had a mortgage (Woolich, tracker +0.19%) and Barclays changed their T&Cs as the BoE interest rates were falling. This was because they actually had some customers on negative (relative to base rate) trackers.

It’s the rate the Bank of England charges other banks and other lenders when they borrow money, and it’s currently 0.10%. The base rate influences the interest rates that many lenders charge for mortgages, loans and other types of credit they offer people. For example, our rates often rise and fall in line with the base rate, but this isn’t guaranteed.
      (my bolding)

Mortgage base rate | Bank of England base rate | Barclays
      Last edited by Paralytic; 5 February 2021, 12:45.

Comment

Why?

It would have only "should" if BoE was lending money to banks directly for specific lending purposes (mortgages) and contractually demanded that rate cuts/increases are passed down, that's not the case.

The whole system is complete farce.

Comment

Will the bank pay me interest, instead of me paying them?

If you took out a mortgage prior to 2005ish you might have ended up being paid for your mortgage then, when rates plummeted following the banking crash.
          Since then, all lenders will have a minimum cap clause in place.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

The Bank of England took a step closer to introducing negative interest rates for the first time on Thursday, after it gave lenders six months to prepare for such a move. ..
            Does that mean banks will have to pay us for having an overdraft?! Wow, things are looking up
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Negative interests rates are coming, banks have been preparing for this for some time.

Immediate effect will be current accounts and savings accounts will start taking an interest payment from you each month. This will have the effect that borrowing and being in debt will seem better value than being cash rich.

But then what sort of people have lots of cash anyway? With the returns on offer from almost all other asset classes, cash really is trash.

S&P 500 Historical Annual Returns | MacroTrends
              First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
                But then what sort of people have lots of cash anyway? With the returns on offer from almost all other asset classes, cash really is trash.
                Quite right. If anyone is not all in on $GME, they're crazy!

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
                  Quite right. If anyone is not all in on $GME, they're crazy!
                  Don't forget Dogecoin Price | DOGE Price Index and Live Chart – CoinDesk and $tsla
                  First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

I've already cashed in all my savings, I keep them in a box under my bed.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                    X