• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

House as company asset.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

House as company asset.

I am currently using my Ltd (IT contractor), with two directors (me & wife). We are fortunate to be soon inheriting some cash. Does it make sense to 'gift' the cash to my Ltd company account, and then use that cash to buy a house (clean purchase, no mortgage) as a company asset - The company classification is software development. This (company owned) house could then function as the registered company office and also where we live. We could even pay our Ltd. a nominal rent to live there ? - Would the house count as a tax deductible expense (effectively zeroing the company's tax liability for that year) ? would the house class as a benefit in kind ? ( even if we pay the company a rent, effectively recycling salary back to the company ) ? - Its an idea I'm playing with, maybe I need to ask my accountant but there seem some very knowledgeable people here....

Originally posted by MeIsMark View Post
    t there seem some very knowledgeable people here....
    You might as well have written "I am a sockie".

Comment

Stupidest of stupid ideas.
      This is gricer or baldrick.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Are you Boris Johnston?

Best sockie idea ever

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

It's is generally reckoned to be a bad idea. You might save some tax initially. But when the company sells the house it will have to pay capital gains tax on any increase in its value. And then when you dividend the cash out to yourself you'll pay dividend tax as well.

Comment

Honestly! And then some wonder why HMRC are always targeting these husband+wife ltd company contractors. In fact I don’t even thInk you are an IT contractor considering how hare brained you are.
            Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

do you like being investigated by HMRC? Or this your way of giving your accountant his crimbo giggle when you ask him the question? Do you even have an accountant?
              Former IPSE member
              My Website

Comment

Originally posted by MeIsMark View Post
                I am currently using my Ltd (IT contractor), with two directors (me & wife). We are fortunate to be soon inheriting some cash. Does it make sense to 'gift' the cash to my Ltd company account, and then use that cash to buy a house (clean purchase, no mortgage) as a company asset - The company classification is software development. This (company owned) house could then function as the registered company office and also where we live. We could even pay our Ltd. a nominal rent to live there ? - Would the house count as a tax deductible expense (effectively zeroing the company's tax liability for that year) ? would the house class as a benefit in kind ? ( even if we pay the company a rent, effectively recycling salary back to the company ) ? - Its an idea I'm playing with, maybe I need to ask my accountant but there seem some very knowledgeable people here....
                Is it electric, diesel, petrol or hybrid? Is it classified as a van? Are you inside IR35?

Comment

Originally posted by GJABS View Post
                  It's is generally reckoned to be a bad idea. You might save some tax initially. But when the company sells the house it will have to pay capital gains tax on any increase in its value. And then when you dividend the cash out to yourself you'll pay dividend tax as well.

I thought you were deed?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                    Stupidest of stupid ideas.
                    This is gricer or baldrick.
                    Even they weren't this moronic.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X