• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Don't buy a car.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So we're cooling then, good news at last! No more hockey stick graphs, more a dear drooper!
    But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Was it?

I spent most of the fecking year inside like most of the UK population.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Electric cars are not better for the environment than used ICE cars once they have been manufactured.

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
          Electric cars are not better for the environment than used ICE cars once they have been manufactured.
          Depends what you mean by the environment.

Electric cars are definitely better for local air quality. There is a case to be made for moving the environmental damage from point of consumption to point of production because it's much much much easier to work towards solutions that contain the problem at point of production. For example carbon capture technology would be much easier to implement in a manufacturing facility then it would be to have on each individual vehicle on the road.

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
            Depends what you mean by the environment.

Electric cars are definitely better for local air quality. There is a case to be made for moving the environmental damage from point of consumption to point of production because it's much much much easier to work towards solutions that contain the problem at point of production. For example carbon capture technology would be much easier to implement in a manufacturing facility then it would be to have on each individual vehicle on the road.
            These are fair points you make. It relies on industry making the changes; in the meanwhile lower end family sized EVs with 150 miles range hover around 30k, which is way out of the price range/usability of most. Without consumer adoption it will not make a difference.

There is one VERY important point: People are scared of buying used EVs. Used cars are 8 out of 9 of the UK market. Used cars are only really seen in the wild on PCP packages to mitigate risk in the eyes of the owner.

It is a hard sell to convince a young family to not pick up a cracking used Peugeot diesel SUV for 5K which will do just shy of 800 miles a tank as opposed to 300 GBP monthly payments in addition to the deposit & balloon payment for a Leaf + the fast charge install.

I would love for it to be different, but battery prices have to come down. The need for rare earth metals adds a dose of geopolitical instability - look at the German's being bent over by Putin over gas.
            Last edited by clearedforlanding; 3 December 2020, 19:37.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              Looking forward to a nice deal on 911 992 Turbo S, with 8 speed PDK fitted as standard, right now they have MF sized price tags

This time next year...
              ...there won't be a wall in the West-Midlands which won't be crapping itself...
              His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

1 in 8 on motability???

flip..

Disability in the United Kingdom - Wikipedia.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
                  Yet.

The repossessions start at the beginning of next year and the bailiffs are eager.
                  • 1 in 8 cars are Motability owned so figure is actually higher.

Around early February there will be plenty of opportunities to buy your retirement car.
                  Make sure you pay cash.
                  I know of a cracking soon to be ex Motability Kia Sportage GTS 4WD in red that will be available mid feb. Only driven on sundays by a mild contractor chappie, never raced or rallied - Just sayin like!
                  Former IPSE member
                  My Website

Comment

The Flintstones had the right idea. Not only low emissions but would keep us fit.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                      ...there won't be a wall in the West-Midlands which won't be crapping itself...

You must spread it around before ruining Mordac's reputation
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X