• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another Dinosaur Opens His Big Mouth...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Dinosaur Opens His Big Mouth...

.. then resigns. This time Greg Clarke Chairman of the FA.

FA chairman Greg Clarke resigns after 'unacceptable' comments | Football | The Guardian

FA chairman Greg Clarke apologises for saying ‘coloured’ in answer to MPs - Evening Express

https://twitter.com/KevinBrennanMP/s...47469663723520

He called black players "coloured" which is why most of the news media said he resigned. However it is his other dinosaur comments including:
    1. Being gay is a "life choice".
    2. There is a lack of women’s goalkeepers due to girls not liking the ball being kicked at them.
    3. “If you go to the IT Department of the FA, there’s a lot more south Asians than there are Afro-Caribbeans. They have different career interests.”

Oh and this a repeat of a previous performance -
    Conservative MP Julian Knight, the chair of the committee, said that Clarke was “right” to apologise but noted “this isn’t the first time the FA has come to grief over these issues”.In a previous session of the DCMS committee in 2017, when Clarke had been summoned to discuss racial discrimination in football, he described accusations of institutional racism at the FA as “fluff”.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Some old bloke using the old fashioned term "coloured" instead of black. People should focus on real racism not unintentional slip ups like that.

PS Dinosaur? Ageist!
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
      Some old bloke using the old fashioned term "coloured" instead of black. People should focus on real racism not unintentional slip ups like that.
      You ignored the rest of my post - we are no longer in the era of Trump and Corbyn.

It was a combination of his comments e.g. being gay is a life choice, women don't like being hit by balls, implying south asians aren't interested on being on the pitch and the fact he's said similar stuff years before that meant he had to go.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

63 year old with old fashioned values shock.

0. Using the previously used in law term "coloured" which is now out of fashion because of its misuse in USA.

Warning: Why using the term 'coloured' is offensive
        - BBC Newsbeat

strange even Benedict Cumberbitch a lovie's lovey got it wrong.

1. Gay being a life choice - mostly wrong.

Why would people 'choose' to be gay? | Dean Burnett | Science | The Guardian

Is Homosexuality a Choice? - Scientific American Blog Network

2. women fear injury more - apparently with good reason
        https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/...s-201512038708

3. More south Asians than Africans in IT well my experience is that is true. I am remembering working with hundreds of south Asians mostly Indian but less than 20 Africans but I haven't found figures so that may be the mix in the countries I have worked in/with.

Employment - GOV.UK Ethnicity facts and figures
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          63 year old with old fashioned values shock.

0. Using the previously used in law term "coloured" which is now out of fashion because of its misuse in USA.

Warning: Why using the term 'coloured' is offensive
          - BBC Newsbeat

strange even Benedict Cumberbitch a lovie's lovey got it wrong.

1. Gay being a life choice - mostly wrong.

Why would people 'choose' to be gay? | Dean Burnett | Science | The Guardian

Is Homosexuality a Choice? - Scientific American Blog Network

2. women fear injury more - apparently with good reason
          The gender gap in sports injuries - Harvard Health Blog - Harvard Health Publishing

3. More south Asians than Africans in IT well my experience is that is true. I am remembering working with hundreds of south Asians mostly Indian but less than 20 Africans but I haven't found figures so that may be the mix in the countries I have worked in/with.

Employment - GOV.UK Ethnicity facts and figures
          He was there at the committee to talk about racism in football so at the very least you would think he would have done his research on correct use of language in the UK today. That's his job. He failed to do his job. If he can't be bothered to put the effort in then he clearly didn't take his job seriously and had to go.

This would be no more than any of us would expect in any role that we work on.

What the FA need to do now is start to promote none white middle aged men into the top jobs. Those who play the sport is diverse so those who run the organisation should be equally diverse.
          I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Ideally a non-white female football player from the LBGTQXYZ!#$ community.
            First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
              What the FA need to do now is start to promote none white middle aged men into the top jobs. Those who play the sport is diverse so those who run the organisation should be equally diverse.
              hmm so race discrimination?
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                women don't like being hit by balls.
                Can you elaborate on this please

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  hmm so race discrimination?
                  Only selecting white middle aged men is a form of discrimination, so yes, I agree with you, this practice should stop and the best person for the role should be appointed. Well made point there Vetty

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                    Can you elaborate on this please

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
                    fnar, fnar......

Comment

Working...
                    X