• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What dis everyone drive in the good all days??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What dis everyone drive in the good all days??

Remember the good old days of hourly billing, 1.5x in the evenings, 2x at weekends. Split payments to the Bank of Cyprus from Connexions in Luxembourg. The glory days of getting paid far too much money? The internet boom. The feeling that it would be like "this" for the rest of your life?

I shall start this hall of shame. The roll call from a time when we were proud of our outrageous cars - WE WERE CONTRACTORS ! None of this woke tulip.

2001 Ferrari 360 SPIDER F1 on a PCP plan with a balloon payment big enough to buy a house. Diesel E Class Saloon for going to work, from my rented house.

Was any of you the legend of urban myth who got fired on the first day by the CFO for turning up to work in a yellow Lambo?

Are you still drunk from last night?
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      Are you still drunk from last night?
      I am still drunk still last lockdown.

Comment

I turned up at one contract in a Lincoln Continental MKIV 2 door coupe, red with a white vinyl roof and blue leather interior (and original 8 track). It was so long that people had to make a detour in the carpark to get around it.
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post

Was any of you the legend of urban myth who got fired on the first day by the CFO for turning up to work in a yellow Lambo?
          Nah but I remember a particularly wankey and abrasive PM turning up in his helicopter to a heavily unionised site where IT were having lots of trouble with the unions, the unions and their members needing treating with kid gloves and him blocking half the executive car park with said helicopter. Within an hour every permie on site was addressing him as "posh tax avoiding scum!". He got an absolute bollocking from management for it and didnt even apologise! There was another incident with an official from the union later that day and said PM got terminated on the spot.
          Former IPSE member
          My Website

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
            I turned up at one contract in a Lincoln Continental MKIV 2 door coupe, red with a white vinyl roof and blue leather interior (and original 8 track). It was so long that people had to make a detour in the carpark to get around it.
            I am struggling to think of a more inappropriate car to rock up to a contract in.

Comment

As a London based contractor, this was my transport

I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

58 plate C class estate which I've had for eight years now. 200k on the clock and still going strong.
                I keep thinking it can't really last much longer so have been looking at new cars for the last few years, but cannot find anything I like that'd do the job any better. I'm going to see if I can squeeze 300k out of it, and if not, I'll get a slightly newer one the same, please.

Comment

Originally posted by courtg9000 View Post
                  Nah but I remember a particularly wankey and abrasive PM turning up in his helicopter to a heavily unionised site where IT were having lots of trouble with the unions, the unions and their members needing treating with kid gloves and him blocking half the executive car park with said helicopter. Within an hour every permie on site was addressing him as "posh tax avoiding scum!". He got an absolute bollocking from management for it and didnt even apologise! There was another incident with an official from the union later that day and said PM got terminated on the spot.
                  MF tried to do something similar but had to charter the Antonov An-225 Mriya.

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
                    I am struggling to think of a more inappropriate car to rock up to a contract in.
                    Bugatti Veyron?
                    Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Working...
                    X