• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

20 years ago - what were you doing?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    I was a top notch IT contractor just like I is now.
    I thought you were a purveyor of sleds? [emoji12]

I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).
    I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

getting 1000 gbp per day to monitor some mainframes, just in case

Comment

I’d just finished a gig in Cheltenham involving cutting edge stuff like JavaScript and XML

New Year itself was spent in a pub that’s long since been demolished, like all the best pubs in this benighted city that thinks digging up kings who were peacefully resting under car parks is all the heritage it needs

Comment

Like NF I'd just finished a 12 month contract in Cheltenham working on burglar alarms and some sort of ATE tester thingie, all of which was embedded, some of it bare metal just to make it that little bit more tedious.

I was on my way towards a 7 month or so contract in Rugby bare metal coding for a thing that ended up being sold in Argos for £79.99, reduced to £39.99 when it turned out the basic concept was a pile of ordure.

The other pile of ordure from the same source was a battery operated portable fridge for drugs & such like that would have required a forklift for the batteries once I'd done the maths on the amount of power required and the U value of any likely insulation.

Peltier coolers are not the most efficient of devices.
          When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

I was working in recruitment at the time.

Had to go in and check the photocopier and fax machine still worked.

[emoji849]

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
              getting 1000 gbp per day to monitor some mainframes, just in case
              getting £250 ph to monitor some HP3000 midrange machines - just in case.

Comment

I had just started a gig working on the trading floor at Credit Suisse.

There was a big hole in the department following a slew of sackings as blowback to the "flaming Ferraris" insider-trading scandal.

How 'Flaming Ferraris' burned their bridges | Business | The Guardian

So I got a pile of source code, a production system to manage and no handover!

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post

There was a big hole in the department following a slew of sackings as blowback to the "flaming Ferraris" insider-trading scandal.

par for the course then! and future instructions on the bag of a fag packet no doubt!

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post

We would have been at CSFB at the same time. I was there from Jul 1999 to Oct 2000. Equities. It was the tail end of the Wild West years. Attitudes were changing pretty quickly around that time.
                    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                      I was working as a waitress in a cocktail bar...
                      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                      X