• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is this the end?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    In fact, as batteries are relatively cheap, I always have two car batteries, one always charged, ready and waiting. It takes less than a minute to swap and is especially useful when driving in winter and snow conditions away from home.
    If your car has Auto-Start, then this won't work, since the batteries have to be "coded" to your car when you change them!
    I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
      If your car has Auto-Start, then this won't work, since the batteries have to be "coded" to your car when you change them!
      I doubt this is relevant to the OP.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        Got a new battery fitted at short notice from the lovely chaps at Kwik Fit (my car has a 'special' battery; none of that universal, find one anywhere types common folk have). It seemed plausible that it had died, the last battery change was over 5 years ago.
        If the car is only used occasionally, and you don't recharge the battery regularly or hook it up to a trickle charger, you were lucky the battery lasted 5 years.

My wife used to have an MX-5 and, according to the dealer, that also needed a 'special' battery. However, our local independent garage was able to shoehorn a universal one in which worked perfectly fine for a fraction of the price.

Personally, I'd never use the likes of Kwik Fit. Don't trust them not to oversell stuff. I now only go to our local garage for servicing, MOT, tyres, batteries etc.
        Last edited by DealorNoDeal; 24 October 2019, 11:28.
        Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
          Stone me:

Does a car battery need coding? | MBClub UK - Bringing together Mercedes Enthusiasts

Is there no end to this insanity?
          When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Appreciate some people don't like Kwik Fit but, on a Saturday afternoon, needing to get my car running, they were the only people who had one in stock ready to fit. My local garage closes at lunchtime and I couldn't get there until the RAC turned up to jump start me.

The RAC chap didn't have a battery of my type on his van - he had nine types but not one suitable for my car.

Comment

Originally posted by Eccystig View Post
              Go back to Kwik Fit and ask them to test the alternator, they should have done this when you first went in. It only takes them a minute to put the tester on the battery and then start the car to see if the alternator is charging or not.
              Kwikfit have a nasty habit of unnecessary upselling. They'll probably try and flog you a new battery, so take the receipt for the one you just bought.
              His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

My brother is going to recommend one of those home jump starter things which I suspect will come in handy until I can get it fixed. Limited time available to get it seen, but may abandon the car at my parents' place as I'm due down there in a couple of weeks and it'll give my Dad something to do in arranging for it to be fixed.
                Some years back my Orion had a defunct battery but one of the bolts holding it in place had rusted solid. For several weeks, until I managed to get the bolt out, I used one of those jump start battery pack things. It’s no more than a minor hassle once you get used to it, particularly compared to the good old days of cranking the starting handle

I did find that when filling up at the petrol station, it alarms the people behind you when you open the bonnet and they think they’re trapped behind a broken-down car, so I made a point of using the pumps at the outer edges where they can get past.

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                  Kwikfit have a nasty habit of unnecessary upselling.
                  This. I now only trust my local garage where I've built up a relationship with the lead mechanic.

For example. The ABS pump on my Audi packed up. Main dealer wanted nearly two grand to replace it. My mechanic said a new Audi pump alone was £1,500, and to go and get a reconditioned one off eBay. Picked one up for £250, and the garage fitted it for £70 (2 hours labour).
                  Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

I don't use my car too much at the moment, sometimes it'll sit in the garage for a couple or more weeks without being used and always starts up fine. Car is about 5 years now so there should be no problem with the battery and wouldn't like to replace it as it's a Li-ion battery and costs €890 not including fitting and coding...

Edit: just checked, gone up in price: Lithium-Ionen Starterbatterie 69AH (61218047221) - leebmann24.de
                    Last edited by darmstadt; 24 October 2019, 14:46.
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Appreciate some people don't like Kwik Fit but, on a Saturday afternoon, needing to get my car running, they were the only people who had one in stock ready to fit. My local garage closes at lunchtime and I couldn't get there until the RAC turned up to jump start me.

The RAC chap didn't have a battery of my type on his van - he had nine types but not one suitable for my car.
                      Yup. It's a beast of a battery for the 350Z's. Had to shop around a bit when I replaced mine. The RAC man will have all the diddy ones for the little girlie cars after they left their lights on and the like.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X