• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Surprised none of our lefties mentioned this.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by original PM View Post
    If in 1946 you had turned around and said that in 50 years we will have a centralized European parliament who have a say in British affairs and it is a good idea you would have been hung from a lamppost and pitchforked.

Those people knew what they were fighting for.
    I don't think so somehow
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by Bean View Post
      I agree, it will be a factor, as every nation houses some racists.

For it to be a significant factor, however, significant numbers must hold those views and you would still be implying those attributes apply to a large section, if not all of the English electorate.

So, are you saying it was a significant factor, or merely some useless throwaway comment, used to try and impress your colleagues?
      Significant factor for a significant section. Otherwise underestimation would not be a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
        If in 1946 you had turned around and said that in 50 years we will have a centralized European parliament who have a say in British affairs and it is a good idea you would have been hung from a lamppost and pitchforked.

Those people knew what they were fighting for.
        I dunno - I reckon my Polish grandfather who never saw a single person of his family again, and spent the war chasing the Fascists around various parts of Europe with the rest of his tank crew would have favoured the prospect of peace. But I don't know, because I don't claim to speak for him and he never spoke of the war.

Comment

Lefties and Nazis

Can any one tell me the difference between Stalin and Hitler? They both had a good try at exterminating those they didn't like.

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
            Can any one tell me the difference between Stalin and Hitler? They both had a good try at exterminating those they didn't like.
            Hitler targeted certain people groups for murder. Stalin did to an extent, but largely his mass murder was quota driven - e,g, 10% of the people are traitors, so 10% of the people go to the camps. 20% of the doctors are traitors, so 20% of them go to the camps.

If you were aryan and kept your head down, you'd probably be alright under Hitler. Under Stalin, no-one was safe from extremely arbitrary detention, torture, death, the gulag.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Stalin and Hitler

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              Hitler targeted certain people groups for murder. Stalin did to an extent, but largely his mass murder was quota driven - e,g, 10% of the people are traitors, so 10% of the people go to the camps. 20% of the doctors are traitors, so 20% of them go to the camps.

If you were aryan and kept your head down, you'd probably be alright under Hitler. Under Stalin, no-one was safe from extremely arbitrary detention, torture, death, the gulag.
              so not a lot of difference between left and right then?

Comment

When you get to the extremes, no. Which kinda makes you think about what the OP is really saying.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Left or right

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                  When you get to the extremes, no. Which kinda makes you think about what the OP is really saying.
                  which brings me to the conclusion that there are only two states, extreme and not extreme. I guess most individuals will have some extreme views which might not be classed as right or left.

Comment

It depends what you means by "left and right". Consider politicalcompass.org's graph here:

Hitler's economic policies were neither right nor left wing. Stalin's were definitely left - planned economy and all that.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                      It depends what you means by "left and right". Consider politicalcompass.org's graph here:

Hitler's economic policies were neither right nor left wing. Stalin's were definitely left - planned economy and all that.

What an absolutely ridiculous diagram. Thatcher is way too far up, and should be next to Friedman.
                      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                      X