• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Official AMD shares thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    ftfy
    Miners are more interested in high end GPUs.

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I don't quite think they are 'designed' to be overclocked per se. They are designed to meet a minimum criteria and that criteria is highest level they can absolutely guarantee
    They guarantee the stated speed under standard warranty (they offer additional warranty for a fee if you want to overclock)., but they also market them as capable of being overclocked Overclock Your CPU with Unlocked Intel(R) Processors - the suffix K means exactly that. But to do that, you've got to take certain precautions. Frankly, I never need the speed, so I leave my CPUs as they are. A 16 core i9-9900k is entirely sufficient for my video editing needs.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      Both AMD and Intel offer processors designed to be overclocked - e.g. for gamers using high end coolers.
      We know that, but the mass market do not overclock. The mass market is really who those companies are aiming for. Not a niche on a niche. Medicine, engineering, aerospace sector, devices that can tolerate single event upsets... Intel is expensive maybe but they've established network effects long ago. AMD has to do something new altogether not just be 'a little bit better' for poorer reliability.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

“Lynx Equity Research’s report also noted that Google is making its own server boards using AMD Epyc server CPUs, which would be a drastic change from Google’s almost exclusive use of Intel server CPUs. Plus, Google recently started using AMD GPUs for its Stadia game streaming service.”

AMD’s Epyc Potential Win: Google May Ditch Intel

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

Comment

Bah,

Looks like AMD is going to bomb when the market opens. Down 5% in pre-market trading so it's going to hit the opening price hard. Really disappointed in that bearing in mind the news. But low Q4 trading but didn't think it was worth a 5% and whatever after hit. Hacked off with that to be fair.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

For ****s sake.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  For ****s sake.
                  If only you'd read this.

Sell AMD Between These Levels as Stock Is Extremely Overvalued - TheStreet

P/E ratio of 113.40

FFS, total bubble territory.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    If only you'd read this.

Sell AMD Between These Levels as Stock Is Extremely Overvalued - TheStreet

P/E ratio of 113.40

Well this is very true but even if I did, as soon as it mentioned 'Golden cross' I'd have probably clicked off. I did reduce my holdings not so long back but still hurts. Particularly when I was looking at Lattice Semiconductors while deciding what to do. They are 20% up today. FFS. It's the way of the trading but still pisses me off when it hits.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                      P/E ratio of 113.40

So is most of the US stock market, especially the tech sector.

Only thing that will prevent a meltdown in the short-term is the FED cutting interest rates. Even that may only delay the inevitable.

The time to invest was 2009. We're in the fag end of the bull market now.

Comment

Working...
                      X