• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

TSB meltdown...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tazdevil View Post
    And nit picking about dotted i's and crossed t's. I recently raised a licence price by £1K which caused the client IT manager to go into a tail spin about lack of contracts, T&C's and so forth such was his ire Subsequently the admin cost far exceeded the price increase and this was a client I've worked with for more than 10 years and this was the first price increase in that time Cost saving
    yep that sounds so familiar.

Previous employers frequently bought their historic ERP from some niche vendor. Every time I suggested upgrading to one of the big 10 they said it would be too much work and cost. Then they insisted we could bolt on the web portal & other exciting stuff for peanuts.They then moaned every year when the vendors gouged us with fees. One of my seagull bosses said " I will sort this out, lets take purchasing in and talk to them" the vendor laughed in their faces. I called it a "Ghostbusters moment".
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
      Because I don't know if the work was outsourced. Speculation usually leads to the usual debate about Indian companies being crap, then someone else will pipe in that we have enough crap developers in the UK etc, thread spirals.

Also, there is a good chance at some point you will be accused of racism and for voting for trump. Then Brexit will be brought into the conversation and before you know it Hitler is on the agenda and his secret base on the dark side of the moon.
      Outsourcing simply for cost always ends in tears.

Using racist terms against companies and individuals simply because of where they come from or who they are is racist, complaining about outsourcing because it’s rubbish isn’t.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

The debate on outsourcing or using external resources is outdated. Companies have been outsourcing ever since Henry Ford started doing it in the 1920's.

Basically the company screwed up regardless of whether in-sourced or out-sourced. Interestingly we are on a forum which only exists because of outsourcing.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Outsourcing core specialty is bonkers

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
            The debate on outsourcing or using external resources is outdated. Companies have been outsourcing ever since Henry Ford started doing it in the 1920's.

Basically the company screwed up regardless of whether in-sourced or out-sourced. Interestingly we are on a forum which only exists because of outsourcing.

I think they are railing against outsourcing core skills to the lowest bidder. Pretty sure Henry Ford would have nowt to do with that.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              Outsourcing core specialty is bonkers
              You would be hard pressed to find any company where a core speciality doesn't include outsourcing to a greater or lesser extent. Companies can't cope with the pace of change using totally insourced solutions.

I remember a colleague of mine who became a PM and was given an offshore team waxing lyrical about the fact that she could actually get stuff done, rather than wading around in treacle with a couple of developers mired in new requirements that they couldn't manage.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                I think they are railing against outsourcing core skills to the lowest bidder. Pretty sure Henry Ford would have nowt to do with that.
                Just because someone is more expensive doesn't necessarily mean they're better. The reason why Henry Ford was so successful was because his cars were cheaper than everyone else's.

Obviously you need to outsource to a company who can do the job, and no large company simply gives an outsourcing contract to the lowest bidder, cost is simply one factor.

Offshoring in India began in the 1960's if it was a failure companies would have long since given up on it. Most major Software companies have development centres in India including Google.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Outsourcing abroad to countries where living standards substantially lower is fundamentally wrong - there should have been tariffs on such imports from start to provide level playing field: WTO was designed by corporations to prevent it and services are not even covered, which in a long term had lead to decline of the West, loss of jobs and tulip like Brexit and Trump

It's not sustainable to allow outsourcing to Chuna where there is no pension system (meaning taxes - overheads) vs this country where payroll taxes are crazy high

It was bonkers to weaken yourselves and allow China to become superpower - all paid by the West
                  Last edited by AtW; 29 April 2018, 14:46.

Comment

China manufactures everything from clothes to apple computers, I can't imagine software getting a special exemption.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                      China manufactures everything from clothes to apple computers, I can't imagine software getting a special exemption.
                      There are tariffs on goods, but not on services

There should have been both and very high - directly depending on things like taxes in any given country, social security offered - the lower those are - the higher tariffs should be, now that's fair and sensible

Comment

Working...
                      X