• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Boris puts his foot in it

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going back to Boris, he is hardly an extreme right winger. His point has been lost in all the furore about letterboxes but he was actually defending the right of women to wear the Burka and has previously spoken in favour of an amnesty for illegal immigrants. People are too inclined to seize on silly details of speeches and ignore the main points that are being made. We have become an irrational society. (Probably we never were, we just didn't have internet in the good old days)
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Big Gob Boris should STFU

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        Going back to Boris, he is hardly an extreme right winger. His point has been lost in all the furore about letterboxes but he was actually defending the right of women to wear the Burka and has previously spoken in favour of an amnesty for illegal immigrants. People are too inclined to seize on silly details of speeches and ignore the main points that are being made. We have become an irrational society. (Probably we never were, we just didn't have internet in the good old days)
        Why is Boris so concerned about this? How many women in the UK actually wear a Burka? As opposed to a a Niquab, a Chador or a Hijab. Stats from Denmark suggest there were only around 200 women in the country who wore it. Hardly seems like a massive issue.

Why is he defending the right to wear the burka and then saying they look ridiculous and comparing them to criminals. Appearing to be a liberal supporting freedom of choice then going for a much less tolerant crowd?

Is it any coincidence that this all kicked off after he had a meeting with Steve Bannon to discuss his Tory party leadership campaign?

He spent time and effort writing that column for the Telegraph, he knew exactly what he was saying and what the reaction would be.

He's using this to set himself up as the maverick voice of the right that the establishment want to silence. Where did we see that before?
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Plenty of ordinary veils but I don't recall ever seeing a burka. Far more likely to be males that are terrorists anyway.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
            He spent time and effort writing that column for the Telegraph, he knew exactly what he was saying and what the reaction would be.
            Boris is a professional provocateur

Comment

Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                Plenty of ordinary veils but I don't recall ever seeing a burka. Far more likely to be males that are terrorists anyway.
                there are a few down my way. It does put a physical barrier that makes communication difficult. Those with just head scarfs are normally very easy to talk to.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                  Why is Boris so concerned about this? How many women in the UK actually wear a Burka? As opposed to a a Niquab, a Chador or a Hijab. Stats from Denmark suggest there were only around 200 women in the country who wore it. Hardly seems like a massive issue.

Why is he defending the right to wear the burka and then saying they look ridiculous and comparing them to criminals. Appearing to be a liberal supporting freedom of choice then going for a much less tolerant crowd?

Is it any coincidence that this all kicked off after he had a meeting with Steve Bannon to discuss his Tory party leadership campaign?

He's using this to set himself up as the maverick voice of the right that the establishment want to silence. Where did we see that before?
                  Have a walk around the Trafford Centre on a weekday, Burqa central.

Comment

What and venture North of the Watford Gap? Incidentally is Luton North of that also?

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                      Have a walk around the Trafford Centre on a weekday, Burqa central.
                      I saw one woman in there trying to eat an ice cream with some kind of veil on, she kept lifting it up to have a lick, trouble was she went to grab one of her kids dropping the veil straight onto the ice, I don't think she laughed, but I did.

I also saw a man, or a very big butch woman, in one directing a kid to go into the apple store trying to pinch from ladies handbags as they were trying out the devices, he/she ran off when they realised I had clocked them.

As for oppression, I once trained a young Muslim woman at RR who wore a head scarf and a cardigan even though it was sweltering, then one week she came in a short sleeved blouse, the next the cardigan, the next a blouse. She only wore the blouse when the male Muslim engineer in the office was out for the week! Then when she got married the head scarf came off as her husband gave her permission.

Just observations.
                      But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Working...
                      X