• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Official Contractor UK Budget Thread 2017

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    It might be a long time since you bought your first house
    Two and a half years ago actually. We completed just after the previous stamp duty changes which saved us about £6k - this was helpful, but it had no bearing on whether or not we were able to afford the house or the mortgage or how long we had to save up for a deposit. It might have made a small difference if the £6k if we had been close to a LTV threshold.

I'm still not convinced it will make a massive difference. If anything, I wouldn't be surprised to see sellers with houses up to £295k upping their prices by 5% in response.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
      I'm still not convinced it will make a massive difference. If anything, I wouldn't be surprised to see sellers with houses up to £295k upping their prices by 5% in response.
      That's exactly what will happen and what the OBR predicts will happen. Actually, worse, because it's a permanent measure. They predict a 2:1 ratio on house prices, so each pound saved will lead to 2 quid on asking prices, largely through 2018. The OBR is absolutely scathing about the policy and say it will do the exact opposite of helping FTBs (unless you've purchased recently and the sale is going through now).

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
        That's exactly what will happen and what the OBR predicts will happen. Actually, worse, because it's a permanent measure. They predict a 2:1 ratio on house prices, so each pound saved will lead to 2 quid on asking prices, largely through 2018. The OBR is absolutely scathing about the policy and say it will do the exact opposite of helping FTBs (unless you've purchased recently and the sale is going through now).
        Prices will go up at the lower end of the market, for sure.

We've got a renovation going through that we're now hoping for a slightly better price on when we come to sell next year. Not necessarily due to a FTB being able to afford more, but due to increased demand from FTBs and associated competition from BTL purchases.

This was a complete showhorse of a budget for Hammond. In effect he's done very little right now. The £billions for house building is mainly as a lender of last resort to the construction trade and he'll be hard-pressed to find land to build on seeing as he's promised to protect the greenbelt.

Hammond should have reduced SLDT across the board, at least temporarily, like reduce SLDT to 5% for 2 years. He hasn't helped anyone higher up the chain, so the market remains stuck. Thicko Hammond and his goonies need to understand that it's called a chain because, well... it's a chain FFS.

Comment

On another point: I'm happy Hammy left ER alone for now. Gives me another year hopefully to work myself out of contracting.

Comment

That's the usual pattern, but remember this gov't is very weak. Ordinarily, they wouldn't have thought twice about rolling this out (at the current stage in the electoral cycle) but HMG is fatally weak, and the industry pushback/coverage was strong. The consultation is another opportunity to trash the story coming from HMRC w/r to minimal impact, so I wouldn't say the outcome is a foregone conclusion just yet, although reform is inevitable in the long run. I thought there would be a much stronger nod to the rollout in ~2019, but there wasn't.
            Yup! I'd say 2020 at this point. The Consultation and subsequent discussion will run into the 2018 Budget in all likelihood; the private sector is substantially more complex, cost-sensitive and innovative than the public sector and they probably know the reaction to this measure could blow up in their faces badly, even outside of Tory party big business backers turning on the party. They took a year before implementation in the public sector following the announcement, so I would not be surprised if this follows suit. 2019 at the earliest, 2020 possibly more realistic. 2018 rollout now seems all but impossible and I don't think it ever was a realistic prospect.

Of course they should be abolishing the measure, and let the dividend tax stay in place until they come up with a more sensible alternative to spend spend spend and more spending and sticking employees and what they wish were employees with the bill. Instead, just more consultations on that too?

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
              On another point: I'm happy Hammy left ER alone for now. Gives me another year hopefully to work myself out of contracting.
              Amen.

Who knows, maybe he'll form his own limited company, divert all his income into it and ***** off whilst some other monkey deals with the fallout of his and May's ineptitude.
              Last edited by Zero Liability; 22 November 2017, 18:26.

Comment

Originally posted by Zero Liability View Post
                Yup!
                Where the hell've you been?

Welcome back.

Comment

Where the hell've you been?

Welcome back.
                  Thanks. Just been very busy, much less time to post crap on a forum with the last few clients and the current one.

Comment

One that slipped under the radar: they're opening up the Ordnance Survey MasterMap data

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/c...overnment-data

Comment

Originally posted by Zero Liability View Post
                      Thanks. Just been very busy, much less time to post crap on a forum with the last few clients and the current one.
                      We've missed your crap.

Comment

Working...
                      X