• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Halal tulipe food

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    Will you be pushing for the school to buy meat that is not certified as halal, or meat that has a specific certification that the animals were not ritually slaughtered?
    Not pushing for anything. Just asking why there can't be normal chicken alongside halal chicken. Pretty much every post I've made on this subject has been about the erosion of choice in this matter. Contrary to the position some are taking here, it is possible to each a balanced position.

If Christians, Hindus, Sikhs, Jews and Atheists are now expected to eat halal chicken, wouldn't it instead have been easier for Muslim children to just eat the non-halal chicken, or just avoid it altogether. Compared to the other 5 groups combined they are the minority by a long way.

Chicken was being served before, so why the need for it now to be only halal. Why make a fuss in the first place?

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
      Why should I? There are regulations about how an animal should be treated and killed.

We make an exception for some daft religion which results in a poor animal struggling to stand while suffering from blood loss.
      They actually restrain the animal. Apart from being the law it's faster.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Even if pre stunned?
        It's not legally required though is it?

Comment

It's not legally required though is it?
          Would you be content to change the law to only permit halal meat that is pre stunned?

Comment

Would you be content to change the law to only permit halal meat that is pre stunned?
            I don't believe religion should be part of it at all. I would rather an evidence based approach was used to ensure an animal is killed in the best way.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
              Not pushing for anything. Just asking why there can't be normal chicken alongside halal chicken. Pretty much every post I've made on this subject has been about the erosion of choice in this matter. Contrary to the position some are taking here, it is possible to each a balanced position.

If Christians, Hindus, Sikhs, Jews and Atheists are now expected to eat halal chicken, wouldn't it instead have been easier for Muslim children to just eat the non-halal chicken, or just avoid it altogether. Compared to the other 5 groups combined they are the minority by a long way.

Chicken was being served before, so why the need for it now to be only halal. Why make a fuss in the first place?
              Do you want to know whether the normal meat has been ritually slaughtered or not?

Comment

I don't believe religion should be part of it at all. I would rather an evidence based approach was used to ensure an animal is killed in the best way.
                Then pre stunning is the thing. https://www.bva.co.uk/News-campaigns...-at-slaughter/

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                  Maybe an atheist would be offended by having to eat food which has gone through a religious blessing?

Is that a legitimate reason to believe there should be a choice?
                  Nope, not offended at all.

A more legitimate reason would be if a competing religion was equally concerned that their food was blessed, then the sky fairies would need to fight it out.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
                    Nope, not offended at all.

A more legitimate reason would be if a competing religion was equally concerned that their food was blessed, then the sky fairies would need to fight it out.
                    So you think there's absolutely no argument on this premise for secular atheists?

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
                      So you think there's absolutely no argument on this premise for secular atheists?
                      As a secular atheist it's not high/even on my list of priorities.
                      How about separation of church and state? That's something worthwhile.
                      Removing the bishops from the house of lords.
                      Repeal of the laws that prevent people from taking the piss out of religion.
                      Having humanism taught alongside religion in all schools.
                      Ban of state-funded faith schools.
                      Assisted dying
                      Ban on homeopathy funding from the NHS
                      halal food labelling..... nope. Don't really care.
                      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                      X