• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tricky Situation..but I am happy to be in.!! Any advice highly appreciated...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Safe? Fair? You plan on starting gigs with the desire to shafts your clients and leave in a week or two and deal with any breach problems at the time? What's fair and safe about this from a clients and agents perspective?

Ohhhhhh hang on. You were trolling me then weren't you.. Lol good one. Nearly got me thinking you were serious. Nice one.
    Safer for me - As I will not be in bench anymore
    Fair to Agent-1/Client-1 - Joining them if SC ready by agreed date, if not giving them notice on broken contract term as they can't keep their agreed start date
    Fair to Agent-2/Client-2 - Not breaking their contract either, just using agreed contract notice clause. If no SC delayed then continuing that contract

This way all parties will be happy....

Comment

Originally posted by Darren_Test View Post
      Fair to Agent-1/Client-1 - Joining them if SC ready by agreed date, if not giving them notice on broken contract term as they can't keep their agreed start date
      Fair to Agent-2/Client-2 - Not breaking their contract either, just using agreed contract notice clause
      I bet you £100 that you failing to get SC, in the time-frame, isn't grounds for breach of contract.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Fair to Agent-2/Client-2 - Not breaking their contract either, just using agreed contract notice clause
        Delayed start date is not breach of contract. You are in contract, just not working so not getting paid.

There are very few people who think starting a contract just to line your pockets for 2 weeks is fair to an agent and client. It's highly mercenary and unprofessional at best.

Honestly. You've hit new lows with this one.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Delayed start date is not breach of contract. You are in contract, just not working so not getting paid.

There are very few people who think starting a contract just to line your pockets for 2 weeks is fair to an agent and client. It's highly mercenary and unprofessional at best.

Honestly. You've hit new lows with this one.
          Come on, I am not doing anything unusual. Doing exactly what someone in similar situation will do. After few months of bench I need to find a way to pay by bills, as simple as that.

Comment

I am in a bit of tricky situation, but I am glad I am in this after few months in bench...

I have seen people asking help in situations like this, but never thought I will be in this

1. Offer-1
            Contract signed, very long contract (years) waiting for SC process completion and start date is 2 weeks away (provided SC is completed). Rate is good . Got 1 Hour train travel cost to be considered. Contract I signed already and doesn't allow me to give any notice at all, I have to provide 'satisfactory' replacement!

Pros : Long term, secure job for years especially current market conditions and expected down fall due to Brexit. Very professional agency (so far)
            Cons : 1 Hour train travel so mostly need to leave home @ 7:30 AM not much flexibility due as train commute, need to depend partner to drop to station and pick-up in the evening, secure site so no WFH, Govt department work

2. Offer-2
            Verbally agreed for a 6 months contract, rate is Offer-1 + 5%, will take next 10 days to complete client's on-boarding process includes some checks. 40 minutes drive. Not sure what's in contract as I am waiting to see details.

Pros : Client I worked many times before, will be able to drive to office so more flexible
            Cons : 6 months only, heavily dependet on market conditions, unknown contract terms (as of now)

What should I do in next 2 weeks..? What you will do if you were in my situation (Honestly I am really enjoying this after few months in bench)

1. Keep on applying and attending interviews (& signing contracts) until you land on your office chair
            2. Sign Offer-2 contract as well, because first one got SC process dependency and could delay if that process takes long
            3. Join which ever role starts first takes you to your office desk. And say sorry to the other one and face legal issues if the agency press as you already signed contract. Also may face life long black list by the agency.
            4. First one is signed already, so put all eggs in that basket and take risk by not signing second one though SC could be delayed

Please suggest what you will do..?. I am thinking of doing 1,2 &3.

Please help. Thanks.
            PC/DT: what's your own gut feeling?
            Clarity is everything

Comment

But I will be in pickle if SC process gets delayed and agency decided to on-board guys with valid SC first and ask me to wait until next opportunity..

I haven't started role so may not impact the agency much..?
              So in the meantime get greasing up your contacts or calling various professional services companies and trying to get some seriously short term work to cover your shortfall whilst awaiting SC. If you've been contracting any length of time you must know someone somewhere who wants to hire you for a few days / on a week by week basis? Maybe someone owes you a favor?

EDIT: Just caught up with this thread properly: DT you are an idiot. Do not sign that second contract; only a lunatic would **** his clients off in such a manner; I've been contracting for all of five minutes but i'm beginning to think even I am more street smart than you when it comes to this stuff having read through some of your content on this forum. Act with credibility - or better still - explain your situation to the client in contract 1 - say you really need to get working; is there anything I can do for you that doesn't require clearance or I can do whilst it's being processed? I have a friend who was undergoing SC clearance but started before he got it; he just can't access any secret information and can only touch certain parts of certain systems.
              Last edited by mattfx; 20 September 2017, 15:49.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelyDan View Post
                PC/DT: what's your own gut feeling?
                this is what I am planning as I posted b4

At the moment My plan is to sign Offer-2 contract as well, this time I will read it properly and ensure it got 2 weeks notice clause.
                Join Offer-2 if they get me in office first, keep looking for SC update. Once it is cleared give notice and join back @ offer-1.
                If SC delayed beyond agreed start date, give notice to offer-1 agency saying breach of contract ( there is a clause for that)

Comment

Come on, I am not doing anything unusual. Doing exactly what someone in similar situation will do.
                  Don't judge everyone by your lack of ability and I professionalism. I can assure you this isn't true at all.
                  After few months of bench I need to find a way to pay by bills, as simple as that.
                  I can't get this but please don't be under any illusion it's fair to anyone but you and that it's normal. That's just dumb.

If you'd said f##k them I'm going to rape them for every penny and I don't give a stuff how unprofessional it is, I need the cash, I could almost understand that and respect your honesty. Thinking it's acceptable, you are doing nothing wrong and everyone does it is stupidity bordering on delusional.

Comment

Originally posted by mattfx View Post
                    So in the meantime get greasing up your contacts or calling various professional services companies and trying to get some seriously short term work to cover your shortfall whilst awaiting SC. If you've been contracting any length of time you must know someone somewhere who wants to hire you for a few days / on a week by week basis? Maybe someone owes you a favor?

EDIT: Just caught up with this thread properly: DT you are an idiot. Do not sign that second contract; only a lunatic would **** his clients off in such a manner; I've been contracting for all of five minutes but i'm beginning to think even I am more street smart than you when it comes to this stuff having read through some of your content on this forum. Act with credibility - or better still - explain your situation to the client in contract 1 - say you really need to get working; is there anything I can do for you that doesn't require clearance or I can do whilst it's being processed? I have a friend who was undergoing SC clearance but started before he got it; he just can't access any secret information and can only touch certain parts of certain systems.
                    @mattfx don't put yourself down.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

this is what I am planning as I posted b4

At the moment My plan is to sign Offer-2 contract as well, this time I will read it properly and ensure it got 2 weeks notice clause.
                      Join Offer-2 if they get me in office first, keep looking for SC update. Once it is cleared give notice and join back @ offer-1.
                      If SC delayed beyond agreed start date, give notice to offer-1 agency saying breach of contract ( there is a clause for that)
                      What if Option 1 won't wait the 2 weeks notice?. Oh hang on, you'll just walk out of Option 2 and ignore the contract.

Comment

Working...
                      X