• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Those religious people again...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Getting back on topic, Hindus are becoming increasingly paranoid about cows and have recently lynched and killed several muslims who were said to be eating them, or looked like they might be thinking about eating beef.

As I haven't heard of any Christians being targeted, the cows may just be a pretext to attack muslims. But as the population of India continues to increase, it probably won't be long before they're all at each others' throats or going at it hammer and tongs with Pakistan.
    Well the Buddhist and Hindu peoples are having a good go at the Muslims in Myanmar: https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...hnic-cleansing
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I like the idea of a gender neutral uniform. Up to puberty, it shouldn't make the blindest bit of difference whether kids are boys or girls.
      But surely distinct psychological differences exist before puberty? I don't think the fact that girls like playing with dolls and boys like pretending to shoot people are unnatural traits enforced on them.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        But surely distinct psychological differences exist before puberty? I don't think the fact that girls like playing with dolls and boys like pretending to shoot people are unnatural traits enforced on them.
        Possibly, possibly not. It's very difficult to be sure as we all treat boys and girls differently, and that's pretty much universal. "Isn't she pretty?" "What a big, strong boy". When gender roles are reinforced from birth it's very difficult to know how kids would behave if no-one knew what gender they were. It's not an experiment I'd try on my kids, but I did see one couple on telly who had done that - they gave their child a neutral name and refused to tell anyone what gender it was. It was only after it started school that it knew it was a 'boy'.

I suspect it's both, but 'nurture' probably pays a very strong role.

Edit: Found the story

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/9028...reotyping.html

Comment

Originally posted by excon View Post
          All religions are nuts, but not equally:

How is the Myanmar ethnic cleansing coming along?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
            How is the Myanmar ethnic cleansing coming along?
            Strange as it may seem there is a difference between ethnic cleansing and terrorism....

Not sure exactly what the difference us but suffice to say I think they are not bombing people and so do not appear on the really rather vile bombathon posters....

Each to their own I guess....

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
              Strange as it may seem there is a difference between ethnic cleansing and terrorism....

Not sure exactly what the difference us but suffice to say I think they are not bombing people and so do not appear on the really rather vile bombathon posters....

There isn't a difference, but those posters are only interested in showing one particular viewpoint.
              Killing civilians at random is terrorism. Ethnic cleansing is terrorism.

But maybe if the poster makers aren't interested in that, perhaps they could include the number of US citizens killed by other US citizens with guns in the same timeframe (and break it down by perceived religion)
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

In what way is terrorism not a component of the Myanmar ethnic cleansing?

terrorism
                ˈtɛrərɪzəm/Submit
                noun
                the unlawful use of violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                  There isn't a difference, but those posters are only interested in showing one particular viewpoint.
                  Killing civilians at random is terrorism. Ethnic cleansing is terrorism.

But maybe if the poster makers aren't interested in that, perhaps they could include the number of US citizens killed by other US citizens with guns in the same timeframe (and break it down by perceived religion)
                  The main difference if you read the BBC report is actually they are just deporting illegal immigrants who have already started a 'war' by killing 9 soldiers.

Myanmar wants ethnic cleansing of Rohingya - UN official - BBC News

So you could argue

1) Killing a bunch of kids in their native country who have lived their all their lives and just wanted to go to a pop concert - terrorism

2) Removing illegal immigrants from your country - ethnic cleansing

They are different but equally shocking.

Comment

The main difference if you read the BBC report is actually they are just deporting illegal immigrants who have already started a 'war' by killing 9 soldiers.

Myanmar wants ethnic cleansing of Rohingya - UN official - BBC News

So you could argue

1) Killing a bunch of kids in their native country who have lived their all their lives and just wanted to go to a pop concert - terrorism

2) Removing illegal immigrants from your country - ethnic cleansing

They are different but equally shocking.
                    Illegal immigrants? You really are a wank stain. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rohingya_people

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                      Illegal immigrants? You really are a wank stain. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rohingya_people
                      Quite from the BBC website

"The Rohingya, who number about one million, are seen by many of Myanmar's Buddhist majority as illegal migrants from Bangladesh."

So not my words you cock rocket.

Comment

Working...
                      X