• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Getting a bit politically correct round here...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    I'm on holiday next week, I would love to have a terry p book to read but I think I've read all of them, some twice. Shame eh.
    And there are never going to be any new ones.

Terry Pratchett's unpublished works crushed by steamroller - BBC News
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
      Indeed and let me illustrate this with an example.

It is a well known fact that the UK contributes approx 180 million a week to the EU. This is a fact, you can look it up.

However to suggest that the UK contributes 350 million a week to the EU is not a fact, it isn't some different world view point selecting an alternative fact, it is simply a lie.
      Perhaps they thought that 180 million wasn't enough to convince the public so they (more or less) doubled it for extra effect?

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
        I'm on holiday next week, I would love to have a terry p book to read but I think I've read all of them, some twice. Shame eh.
        Even the Tiffany Aching ones?
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
          they're (we're) all getting old

and basically, we've discussed everything to death and everyone's knackered

on top of that as we discussed last week in another thread there are basically two camps these days on CUK,

there's the expats who are happy as larry and living the dream and the rest who are stuck in blighty and depressed

Milan.
          well i'm happy enough in blighty, after considerable travel elswhere, so that's bollix.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
            A bit like the 100 billion Euro UK's EU exit figure. God knows where that came from.
            EU auditors refuse to sign off more than £100billion of its own spending - Telegraph

From the article:

According to the annual report of the European Court of Auditors, seen by The Telegraph, £5.5 billion of the EU budget last year was misspent because of controls on spending that were deemed to be only “partially effective” by experts.

The audit, published this morning, found that £109 billion out of a total of £117 billion spent by the EU in 2013 was "affected by material error”.
            It means that the Brussels accounts have not been given the all clear for 19 years running.

Given the fact that the EU has no real idea how much money it receives or spends the 100 billion figure has been plucked out of thin air.

Comment

Originally posted by excon View Post
              EU auditors refuse to sign off more than £100billion of its own spending - Telegraph

From the article:

According to the annual report of the European Court of Auditors, seen by The Telegraph, £5.5 billion of the EU budget last year was misspent because of controls on spending that were deemed to be only “partially effective” by experts.

The audit, published this morning, found that £109 billion out of a total of £117 billion spent by the EU in 2013 was "affected by material error”.
              It means that the Brussels accounts have not been given the all clear for 19 years running.

Given the fact that the EU has no real idea how much money it receives or spends the 100 billion figure has been plucked out of thin air.
              They drag that out every few years.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Bit of a leap from "there are some inconsistencies in the accounts" to "no real idea how much money it spends or receives", isn't it? Rather like saying that somebody who only completed half of a crossword is therefore illiterate

Comment

"Facts" can be brought to bare on either side of most arguments, it comes down to who you believe. We all like to think we are blind like Lady Justice but often frame these decisions in our own world views.

Something to think about.
                  Indeed.

But then you're not a mod on here.
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                    Bit of a leap from "there are some inconsistencies in the accounts" to "no real idea how much money it spends or receives", isn't it? Rather like saying that somebody who only completed half of a crossword is therefore illiterate
                    Accounts are either accurate or they are not, we aren't talking about rounding errors here, billions year on year for two decades.

Comment

Getting a bit politically correct round here...

From the article:

I guess it depends whether you mean the accounts were signed off by the auditors or that every discrepancy was accounted for.
                      As you have linked to a report from 2014, here's the comments for 2015:

"In 2015 the EU spent €145 billion—or about £105 billion, at the average exchange rate for 2015. That's a few billion less than what the UK spent on the NHS. The Court said the EU’s accounts in 2015: “present, in all material respects, a true and fair view of the EU’s financial results for the year … We were therefore able to give a clean opinion on the reliability of the accounts (‘signed off’)”.
                      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                      X