• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car nicked

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post

I have also read this. Apparently the most effective thing you can do is to make a lot of loud noise. Scream, shout, put the stereo on full volume, sound aggresive and make it seem like there are more people that there are with you. I was advised to shout things like "Dave, there's a burglar downstairs. Get Rob and lets kill the F*****G C**T!!!!" and stamp as much as possible to make it seem like there were several people running around upstairs.

Burglars generally do not want to risk an unknown fight with the police en route.
    Interesting.
    Verisure, my alarm company, have a system whereby the alarm sounds WITHIN the house, not externally as with other alarm companies, going up in volume progressively so its deafening.
    They argue that external alarms are usually ignored as people think they have gone off by mistake.
    So the gradually ramped up internal noise is to put psychological pressure on intruders who also know a physical presence is guaranteed (Verisure have a guard response).
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      Interesting.
      Verisure, my alarm company, have a system whereby the alarm sounds WITHIN the house, not externally as with other alarm companies, going up in volume progressively so its deafening.
      They argue that external alarms are usually ignored as people think they have gone off by mistake.
      So the gradually ramped up internal noise is to put psychological pressure on intruders who also know a physical presence is guaranteed (Verisure have a guard response).
      Yes our friend who used to fit burglar alarms always said a nice large internal sounder is a must. 110+DB of scaring them hell out of your house.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Well all these thoughts and more have been going round in the head for last few days, it's a horrible feeling being a victim. Granted that we were all safe but you think how f**king dare you come into my house and scare my young kids (they keep asking questions, "will a man come into the house again?" as a dad who is supposed to protect my family I feel tulip.

Apparently there was a car stolen from driveway down the road three weeks ago, why didn't anyone, Police, etc inform us? Guy sorting my doors/windows said bright lights aren't much of a deterrent as it helps them see what they are doing! I have CCTV but they went to the blind spots, and signs everywhere but it didn't put them off. He said he had a baseball bat in his bedroom, he said he uses it with a ball for dog to chase in the park, as long as you are defending yourself you will be fine. Mind you he was built like a BSH I wouldn't mess.

I gave the ****ers an easy ride with shoddy security (didn't think that before, obvs) but trying sort it out now. Spoke to Car insurance company yesterday and the way they treated me it was as if I had planned it all and was committing fraud. Two of the questions were "why do you think your car was stolen? Did you give anyone reason to do this?" WTF?

qh
        Last edited by quackhandle; 12 July 2017, 11:44.
        He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

With the talk of internal alarms it reminded me of a neighbour that was burgled back in the 80s when I was a kid. One day soon after, I heard a dog barking in their house but knew they hated dogs so was a bit puzzled. Turns out they had some sort of alarm that made the sound of a barking/growling dog whenever anyone came near the house.

Quite a novel idea I thought. Especially if they used a sub woofer (pun intended ) to make the growling sound more menacing. Might scare the tulip out of the postie though.
          Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            Interesting.
            Fascinating. I would imagine that works pretty well too.
            "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Had ADT sales bod out today for a quote and Verisure are coming out tomorrow morning.

qh
              He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
                With the talk of internal alarms it reminded me of a neighbour that was burgled back in the 80s when I was a kid. One day soon after, I heard a dog barking in their house but knew they hated dogs so was a bit puzzled. Turns out they had some sort of alarm that made the sound of a barking/growling dog whenever anyone came near the house.

Quite a novel idea I thought. Especially if they used a sub woofer (pun intended ) to make the growling sound more menacing. Might scare the tulip out of the postie though.
                One of my school friends' parents owned a shop and they had a big scary dog - unless you knew it and he knew you. Anyway their shop got burgled. However the burglars made sure they fed the dog poisoned meat first.

My friend and her parents were more upset about the dog being killed than losing their stock.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  One of my school friends' parents owned a shop and they had a big scary dog - unless you knew it and he knew you. Anyway their shop got burgled. However the burglars made sure they fed the dog poisoned meat first.
                  What a bunch of c***s
                  "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

I had a Van once, full of tools as I was a Plant fitter.

Amongst the "Anti Theft devices" there was an alarm in the cab, one in the back, the normal exterior sounder which also turned on the roof bar beacons, all worked from door switches, the steering wheel had a cover on it, and it had a system that I would set before leaving it that would set off a primed CO2 extinguisher if you went through the wrong door to get into the back. As in trigger held in, a valve that had a cable attached that pulled it open if you opened the door. Forgot once, very effective at scaring the crap out of you.

It was towed away.... The police reckon they went under the front and cut the power lead off the battery.

Basically, if they want it, they will take it. I don't think it matters what you do.

Comment

Originally posted by Lost It View Post
                      I had a Van once, full of tools as I was a Plant fitter.

Amongst the "Anti Theft devices" there was an alarm in the cab, one in the back, the normal exterior sounder which also turned on the roof bar beacons, all worked from door switches, the steering wheel had a cover on it, and it had a system that I would set before leaving it that would set off a primed CO2 extinguisher if you went through the wrong door to get into the back. As in trigger held in, a valve that had a cable attached that pulled it open if you opened the door. Forgot once, very effective at scaring the crap out of you.

It was towed away.... The police reckon they went under the front and cut the power lead off the battery.

Basically, if they want it, they will take it. I don't think it matters what you do.
                      This was years ago mind - but a mate of one of my brothers' had a new Golf. He had an alarm plus put a wheel lock on it.

He woke up early one morning to see thieves driving away with his car on the back of a tow truck.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X