• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are IT developers the stupidest people on earth ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tinkers

Unless you are balls deep in a large modern system you cannot comment on modern development.

I deal with millions of lines of code (done over 20 years by 100s of guys in many different styles, so most of which i didn't write) that I have to constantly move forward under time pressure without breaking anything. And then hundreds of millions of pounds go through that code every day. If I break it, bad things happen.

Tinkering in your bedroom with a ZX81 30 years ago,
    or knocking up a bit of VB to help out a spreadsheet, or writing a query to get some info from a database - is a completely different kettle of fish. It's fun, it's not stressful, and it's low complexity. You won't get called at 3am by a trader in Honkers who has spotted a spike in profits due to something you did 6 months ago. And he's been trading off that position for weeks thinking it was correct (this happened to my.. err..pal).
    Last edited by Fronttoback; 19 April 2017, 12:18.

Comment

Originally posted by Fronttoback View Post
      or knocking up a bit of VB to help out a spreadsheet, or writing a query to get some info from a database - is a completely different kettle of fish. It's fun, it's not stressful, and it's low complexity...
      And it's about the skill level of the offshore resources I'm currently dealing with.

The are so utterly dumb. On the other hand it's doing wonders for the English vocabulary of the two German interns we have in the office.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        And it's about the skill level of the offshore resources I'm currently dealing with.

The are so utterly dumb. On the other hand it's doing wonders for the English vocabulary of the two German interns we have in the office.
        you wanted an extract of all these records from Jan 1st 2014 ? You should of said. We thought you only wanted half of them.

Us Not sure what else "please extract all records from jan 1st 2014 inclusive" could mean.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          You should of said.
          I doubt you add much value to anything at all, as you're incapable of learning your native tongue.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Unless you are balls deep in a large modern system you cannot comment on modern development.

I deal with millions of lines of code (done over 20 years by 100s of guys in many different styles, so most of which i didn't write) that I have to constantly move forward under time pressure without breaking anything. And then hundreds of millions of pounds go through that code every day. If I break it, bad things happen.

or knocking up a bit of VB to help out a spreadsheet, or writing a query to get some info from a database - is a completely different kettle of fish. It's fun, it's not stressful, and it's low complexity. You won't get called at 3am by a trader in Honkers who has spotted a spike in profits due to something you did 6 months ago. And he's been trading off that position for weeks thinking it was correct (this happened to my.. err..pal).
            Jeez, how dull. You're probably not on very much at all for all the stress, what?
            Get re-trained on something more cutting edge for fooks sake - HEOR bods are on a grand a day and rising, doing much more socially useful work for normal hours.
            But perhaps your maths skills aren't all that.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              I doubt you add much value to anything at all, as you're incapable of learning your native tongue.
              He was quoting the off-shore resources, so I let it go.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                He was quoting the off-shore resources, so I let it go.
                Indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                  Jeez, how dull. You're probably not on very much at all for all the stress, what?
                  Get re-trained on something more cutting edge for fooks sake - HEOR bods are on a grand a day and rising, doing much more socially useful work for normal hours.
                  But perhaps your maths skills aren't all that.
                  Good comeback assguru! You are a wannabee.

Comment

Good comeback assguru! You are a wannabee.
                    he can't spell whore!

Comment

Working...
                    X