• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Are IT developers the stupidest people on earth ?"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Fronttoback View Post
    Good comeback assguru! You are a wannabee.
    he can't spell whore!

Leave a comment:

• Fronttoback
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Jeez, how dull. You're probably not on very much at all for all the stress, what?
    Get re-trained on something more cutting edge for fooks sake - HEOR bods are on a grand a day and rising, doing much more socially useful work for normal hours.
    But perhaps your maths skills aren't all that.
    Good comeback assguru! You are a wannabee.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    He was quoting the off-shore resources, so I let it go.
    Indeed.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    I doubt you add much value to anything at all, as you're incapable of learning your native tongue.
    He was quoting the off-shore resources, so I let it go.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Unless you are balls deep in a large modern system you cannot comment on modern development.

I deal with millions of lines of code (done over 20 years by 100s of guys in many different styles, so most of which i didn't write) that I have to constantly move forward under time pressure without breaking anything. And then hundreds of millions of pounds go through that code every day. If I break it, bad things happen.

Tinkering in your bedroom with a ZX81 30 years ago,
    or knocking up a bit of VB to help out a spreadsheet, or writing a query to get some info from a database - is a completely different kettle of fish. It's fun, it's not stressful, and it's low complexity. You won't get called at 3am by a trader in Honkers who has spotted a spike in profits due to something you did 6 months ago. And he's been trading off that position for weeks thinking it was correct (this happened to my.. err..pal).
    Jeez, how dull. You're probably not on very much at all for all the stress, what?
    Get re-trained on something more cutting edge for fooks sake - HEOR bods are on a grand a day and rising, doing much more socially useful work for normal hours.
    But perhaps your maths skills aren't all that.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    You should of said.
    I doubt you add much value to anything at all, as you're incapable of learning your native tongue.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    And it's about the skill level of the offshore resources I'm currently dealing with.

The are so utterly dumb. On the other hand it's doing wonders for the English vocabulary of the two German interns we have in the office.
    you wanted an extract of all these records from Jan 1st 2014 ? You should of said. We thought you only wanted half of them.

Us Not sure what else "please extract all records from jan 1st 2014 inclusive" could mean.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    or knocking up a bit of VB to help out a spreadsheet, or writing a query to get some info from a database - is a completely different kettle of fish. It's fun, it's not stressful, and it's low complexity...
    And it's about the skill level of the offshore resources I'm currently dealing with.

The are so utterly dumb. On the other hand it's doing wonders for the English vocabulary of the two German interns we have in the office.

Leave a comment:

• Fronttoback
    replied
    Tinkers

Unless you are balls deep in a large modern system you cannot comment on modern development.

I deal with millions of lines of code (done over 20 years by 100s of guys in many different styles, so most of which i didn't write) that I have to constantly move forward under time pressure without breaking anything. And then hundreds of millions of pounds go through that code every day. If I break it, bad things happen.

or knocking up a bit of VB to help out a spreadsheet, or writing a query to get some info from a database - is a completely different kettle of fish. It's fun, it's not stressful, and it's low complexity. You won't get called at 3am by a trader in Honkers who has spotted a spike in profits due to something you did 6 months ago. And he's been trading off that position for weeks thinking it was correct (this happened to my.. err..pal).
    Last edited by Fronttoback; 19 April 2017, 12:18.

Leave a comment:

• Cirrus
    replied
    I started in IT automating what people had previously been doing manually. The impact was huge. That was the early 70s and what had taken an entire department of maybe 10 -15 people all month suddenly was completed in a day. Even before I was in IT I remember doing overtime putting pricing information into a new system. All the previous jobs were made redundant.

Recently I was running projects to automate insurance bordereaux and call centre correspondence routing. The potential impact was much lower. And it was much, much harder to make progress. It's easy to automate simple tasks but a lot of what people actually do (even in ostensibly simple, repetitive tasks) is frighteningly variable, unpredictable and requires initiative, judgement, creativity, networking, risk assessment etc etc .

So automation is nothing new. It's really just hype. It's the old, old story: will the loss of existing jobs be compensated by the creation of new (less boring?) opportunities.

Who can say - but one fact is that since the 70s, income for the vast majority of people has stagnated. The rich have got vastly richer but the rest of us have been treading water at best. So you might guess that employment will still be available but the trend towards slowly declining wealth and tougher working conditions (except for the top 1%) will continue.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    Sure you can do some powerful stuff with them but without a background in data you won't have a clue.
    But can you make it scroll your name or some rude comment up the screen and disable the 'break' key?

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
    SQL. BASIC. Visual Basic. Rational. XAML. Business Objects. I have lost count of all the new technologies I have lived through that were intended to be so simple the end users could make their own software without needing developers, but ended up being more things for developers to do.
    Now Tableau & Power BI are meant to do the same thing

Sure you can do some powerful stuff with them but without a background in data you won't have a clue.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
    FTFY
    no he wants to race round in a little Fiat!

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Cirrus View Post

As soon as you're working with something Turing complete, you'll be programming.
    FTFY
    Yeah - that's what I mean. Not that it must be shrouded in mystery...

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    The only difference between now and 30 years ago, is that what was high-level then is a mere component in a library now.
    Though it often seems learning how to use something from a library is as much work as simply creating your own.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X