• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cryptocurrency

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
    I wonder how gold would work as a currency. Would you have to chisel little bits of it off the bar to do the grocery shopping?
    I one worked on a precious metals trading system. The back office is complex as the traders only trade approximate amounts. The actual bars have to be weighed....

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
      what's the point of money you can't spend?? sounds like one huge con to me. i think i'll stick to cash.
      Here's your answer....

Vegas strippers are now accepting Bitcoin | Mashable

If you've amassed a fortune in Bitcoin and don't know how to spend it, here's an idea: Go to Las Vegas and squander it all on booze and lap dances.

Legends Room is a "gentleman's club" that accepts Bitcoin, Ethereum, and its own cryptocoin LGD for all transactions.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        I one worked on a precious metals trading system. The back office is complex as the traders only trade approximate amounts. The actual bars have to be weighed....
        Does that help me buy a bag of chips when the FIAT system collapses?
        "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
          Does that help me buy a bag of chips when the FIAT system collapses?
          Only shotguns will.

Comment

Originally posted by FrontEnder View Post
            You sell them on an exchange for cold hard FIAT currency.
            nothing to stop the 'exchange' keeping the money and going bust though AFAICS.
            no, - it's a massive con. - sod it!

Comment

So is FIAT currency. However people have faith in it.

I was reading an article recently on the slow take up in electricity at the end of the 19th century. Steam was very popular for a long while afterwards. The same with computing - in the last 50 years some companies have made great improvements and others have stayed still.

It takes time for culture to change. Crypto needs time....

Comment

It's only a matter of time before they're licensed and regulated.

The exchanges are quite profitable, taken a small% of every transaction is pretty lucrative. I don't think there's an incentive for the ones that have been operating for a while to take your money and run.

I'd be very wary of new ones though.

Comment

It's only a matter of time before they're licensed and regulated.

The exchanges are quite profitable, taken a small% of every transaction is pretty lucrative. I don't think there's an incentive for the ones that have been operating for a while to take your money and run.

I'd be very wary of new ones though.
                  ok, but when i see something touted to be the next greatest thing, which is easy to buy with normal currency, but complex and difficult to sell, - i smell rats.
                  being a professional cynic helps too

Comment

ok, but when i see something touted to be the next greatest thing, which is easy to buy with normal currency, but complex and difficult to sell, - i smell rats.
                    being a professional cynic helps too
                    It's no harder to sell than it is to buy.

Comment

It's no harder to sell than it is to buy.
                      Whenever I google about buying bitcoins, lots of articles appear. When I google selling or using, very few show up.

What am I missing?

Comment

Working...
                      X