• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's happening to VED in 2 years for used cars?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    I never understood why people worry about an extra £100 on car tax when having an uneconomical gas guzzler will be costing you thousands more per year in petrol.
    Depends how many miles you drive. Say VED on my car is £520, which is enough for 6 refuels that last me 4-5 months.

Insurance+VED cost as much as fuel. Tires, repairs and other stuff is a killer.

Comment

I never understood why people worry about an extra £100 on car tax when having an uneconomical gas guzzler will be costing you thousands more per year in petrol.
      because many people drive very few miles.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        because many people drive very few miles.
        And those are the ones who would benefit most from buying electric cars.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          And those are the ones who would benefit most from buying electric cars.
          nope they are the ones who drive what they like because their costs and impact are sod all.

Bangernomics or Classic Or Nutter Barsteward are all reasonable forms of ownership if you do 4000 miles a year.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
            nope they are the ones who drive what they like because their costs and impact are sod all.

Bangernomics or Classic Or Nutter Barsteward are all reasonable forms of ownership if you do 4000 miles a year.
            True, but the OP was talking about a nearly new car.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
              Jeezuz

So lets say you fancy the new ford mustang v8 - on the road cost £36k ash

CO2 output 281 G/km

tax
              2k for first year

just I dunno seems like you are paying a premium for a high co2 car right at the start...

so you will just end up baking it into the on the road price with the dealer and it just becomes another purchase tax?

or have I missed something?
              £2k on a £36k is hardly normal... lots of £36k cars are far lower emissions.

The VED is on emissions not simply on gas guzzling. Presumably the two are not directly correlated?
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Buying a really polluting car should be a tad better deal in a few months time

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  So it's a rule that cars stay in the same scheme at the time they were first registered?

So when the dealers say "VED for the next two years is £30" are they talking nonsense, or is the likelihood the bands already in existence WILL change but only slightly to follow inflation, etc, rather than be revamped?

TLDR; choosing a car in lowest VED bands A-C (£0, £20, £30) is still sensible and won't be trashed by changes coming in?
                  You care about a few hundred quid a year? Tight arsed northern peasant.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    You care about a few hundred quid a year? Tight arsed northern peasant.
                    You don't get rich not caring about a few hundred here and there.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

VED for post 2006 cars is ridiculous. And by 'New' what do actually mean? I bought a 60K miles 2003 Jag for peanuts, more economical than my previous A4 (the advantages of an Aluminium body) and all the toys you could want (always introduced first into premium motors, years ahead of the cheaper motors). Good of the previous owner to run it so carefully for me.

Comment

Working...
                      X