• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Scottish independence referendum Mk 2

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    Scotland is already a member of the EU being part of the UK, it just needs to retain membership when the UK leaves.

There are so many special circumstances; Denmark and Greenland, Denmark and the Fareo Islands, UK and Channel Islands, UK and Isle of Man, Spain and Gibraltar, Switzerland and Liechtenstein, Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland, France and Monaco, Spain/France and Andorra, San Marino and Italy, the Vatican and Italy...

The EU makes out that it would be exceptional to have Scotland as a devolved member. But that is nonsense when you consider how many other special and exceptional circumstances exist in Europe.

Where there is a will, there is a way.

I will say that again because it is all that matters.

Where there is a will, there is a way.

The Spanish are against Scotland keeping membership when the rUK leaves because it doesn't want the same thing to happen with parts of Spain. So there isn't a collective 'will' to make this happen in the EU (Scot annexation and membership).

Look I must be in a minority here because I am pro Scot Indi and pro UK brexit. But it has to be what the majority want, that is democracy surely!

Most sensible thing I've heard you say.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by chopper View Post
      The question I ask keeps being unanswered.

How is Scotland leaving the UK and becoming a member of the EU in any way, shape or form 'independence'?
      Because they would be a separate nation entering a club, not tightly bound into a union whose government they don't decide? The UK-EU and Scotland-UK couplings are very different.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
        This is totally gut feeling (so therefore pretty meaningless), however, I would suggest Scotland's pro-EU stance was down to a combination of SNP voters plus a chunk of pro-Union Scots trying to avoid another indy ref by voting Remain. I feel it's worth noting that for Brexit 1,661,191 voted Remain. For the Scotish Indy vote 1,617,989 went with Yes and 2,001,926 with No.
        I don't think it's people playing tactics, I think the pro-EU sentiment is genuine. Most people didn't seriously expect Brexit to happen so I don't think it was people voting other than what they actually felt was better.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Because they would be a separate nation entering a club, not tightly bound into a union whose government they don't decide? The UK-EU and Scotland-UK couplings are very different.
          club (klŭb)
          n.
          a. A stout heavy stick, usually thicker at one end, suitable for use as a weapon; a cudgel.
          b. An implement used in some games to drive a ball, especially a stick with a protruding head used in golf.
          c. Something resembling a club.
          2. Games
          a. A black figure shaped like a trefoil or clover leaf on certain playing cards.
          b. A playing card with this figure.
          c. clubs(used with a sing. or pl. verb) The suit of cards represented by this figure.
          3. A group of people organized for a common purpose, especially a group that meets regularly: a garden club.
          4. The building, room, or other facility used for the meetings of an organized group.
          5. Sports An athletic team or organization.
          6. A nightclub.

I prefer

car·tel (kär-tĕl′)
          n.
          1. A combination of independent business organizations formed to regulate production, pricing, and marketing of goods by the members.
          2. An official agreement between governments at war, especially one concerning the exchange of prisoners.
          3. A group of parties, factions, or nations united in a common cause; a bloc.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Exactly.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I don't think it's people playing tactics, I think the pro-EU sentiment is genuine. Most people didn't seriously expect Brexit to happen so I don't think it was people voting other than what they actually felt was better.
              Even if that is the case it's still worth noting the numbers that voted for each:

Brexit - 1m / Remain - 1.6m
              Yes - 1.6m / No - 2m

Comment

Interesting What Scotland Thinks? poll results since the EU Referendum:

How would you vote in a Scottish independence referendum if held now? (asked after the EU referendum)

Comment

Scottish independence referendum Mk 2

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
                  Interesting What Scotland Thinks? poll results since the EU Referendum:

How would you vote in a Scottish independence referendum if held now? (asked after the EU referendum)
                  Link doesn't work - try this:

http://whatscotlandthinks.org/questi...d-now-ask#line
                  http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Really no one spotted this?

CIA’s secret plan to give the Falklands to Argentina | Daily Mail Online

Revealed: CIA's secret plan to give the Falklands to Argentina and ship the islanders off to SCOTLAND
                    US planned to step in and hand the islands to Argentina following the invasion
                    CIA thought the British may have 'underestimated' the Argentinian military
                    Top secret papers reveal that security bosses prepared to offer islanders the choice of relocating to Scotland or to stay and become Argentinian citizens
                    sorted!

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

A-ha, unresearched claptrap.

Out of the 18 General Elections since 1945, Scotland has got the party at Westminster which won the Scottish popular vote 12 times.

In 2005, England voted Conservative, but Labour won as a result of Scotland's vote (so here is an example of Scotland getting EXACTLY the government it voted for, changing the England vote). This wasn't the only time it happened, it also happened in 1950, 1951, 1964, 1974.

And as for government they don't decide, lets look at the EU parliament again. Not many people realise the president of the European Parliament changed this week, from Martin Schulz (bye bye) to Antonio Tajani. So, how many Scottish people voted for an Italian? Or the Italian party (Forza Italia - Berlusconi's party) he is a member of? Or even how many Scottish people voted for a party which is party of the European People's Party - the name of the coalition of national parties... I'll tell you the answer is zero - no UK parties are affiliated with European People's Party.

So those pro-EU, anti-UK Scottish people seem to be quite happy with being led by someone they never voted for. Scotland (or the rest of the UK) is completely voiceless in the current incarnation of the European Parliament.

So when a non-UK Scotland is a tiny tiny tiny little state within Europe, ceding powers to Brussels until boom, you'll be in the country of Europe, not the country of Scotland.

It still doesn't sound like a vision of independence to me...
                      Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Working...
                      X