• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cruise Control

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
    As an aside: I just wish people in IT could take the incredible care to craft systems that BMW do. It's a pleasure to use artefacts that show they were bothered about you.
    I know what you mean about BMW.

I had a BMW 5 series and the auto stop/start worked perfectly, just worked. The one thing I hate about our new Volvo is the stop/start just to eager, I just switch it off now (when i can remember). Number of times I've stopped at junction almost instantly accelerated only to find the engine is busy restarting itself, bloody dangerous. Also, when you stop then immediately reverse again only to find out that the engine has konked out.

I do miss the BMW sat nav.... but the Volvo is good car!

Comment

Many moons ago I had an 18 month contract in France. The ClientCo gave me the option of taxi everywhere or rental car. By the 3rd week I had a rental. Fly home every weekend, pick up a different rental every Monday. The worst car I had in that period was a Kia Picanto. I'm not sure the engine was measured in Horse Power or Pony Power, but it couldn't pull teeth.
      The second worst car was a BMW 1 series diesel. The stop/start was abysmal. It would stop the engine very quickly, but the restart was worse than Windows 8.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        Many moons ago I had an 18 month contract in France. The ClientCo gave me the option of taxi everywhere or rental car. By the 3rd week I had a rental. Fly home every weekend, pick up a different rental every Monday. The worst car I had in that period was a Kia Picanto. I'm not sure the engine was measured in Horse Power or Pony Power, but it couldn't pull teeth.
        The second worst car was a BMW 1 series diesel. The stop/start was abysmal. It would stop the engine very quickly, but the restart was worse than Windows 8.
        I found windows 8 to start quite fast on my Lenovo.

Comment

Want to overtake? No problem

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
          You do know that you still need to work the indicators yourself right?
          Indeed: select the right indicator and the car automatically cancels the distance control and starts to accelerate up to your target speed.
          "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Cruise control is essential in this country now if you do any motorway miles at all due to HADECs cameras and average speed monitoring whether for roadworks or traffic calming.

I've got adaptive speed control on the Bentley and it works extremely well as you can play with the activation settings depending on the road conditions. It's eerie at first but you soon get used to it.
            ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
              I've got adaptive speed control on the Bentley and it works extremely well as you can play with the activation settings depending on the road conditions. It's eerie at first but you soon get used to it.
              Very nice. Which model? My old man's 1972 T1 has cruise control.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                Adaptive is the difference between me using cruise control and not using cruise control and to be blunt its brilliant. The fact I can set it to 70 and not worry about traffic slowing down in front of me makes for a far less stressful journey...
                Will it slow you right down to a crawl and then back up again if say there's people rubber-necking an accident?

I'm wondering how adaptive CC works on a manual gearbox. You'd feel pretty daft when you stall at 20 because you're still in 6th, trusting the car to do its thing!
                Actually the idea of changing gear in either direction with AAC feels like it would be very odd, if it's trying to accelerate and you cahnge gear does that mean you don't use the accelerator pedal?!

AAC+automatic transmission sounds like it would be a dream. And some newer cars even have automatic lane-changing which WILL do the indicators for you
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Pointless in town, or any stop start traffic, even the adaptive, but...

had it on my last three cars and on motorways and dual carriage ways I use it constantly.

Makes driving long distances far more comfortable. Easy to adjust up and down a couple of MPH to match speed with the traffic when you need to. Stops you speeding inadvertently. Wouldn't have a car without it now.
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    Will it slow you right down to a crawl and then back up again if say there's people rubber-necking an accident?

I'm wondering how adaptive CC works on a manual gearbox. You'd feel pretty daft when you stall at 20 because you're still in 6th, trusting the car to do its thing!
                    Actually the idea of changing gear in either direction with AAC feels like it would be very odd, if it's trying to accelerate and you cahnge gear does that mean you don't use the accelerator pedal?!

AAC+automatic transmission sounds like it would be a dream. And some newer cars even have automatic lane-changing which WILL do the indicators for you
                    The normal cruise control cars that I've had with manual gearboxes all have the cruise control turn off when you depress the clutch - it deems you to be no longer cruising if you're having to change gear. If you're in 5th/6th, it'll happily take you back up to 70 from 50 though.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      I love cruise control, and the speed limiter option for roadworks and helping me stay points free. It's just a little paddle under the steering wheel so very simple just to click on if you get in the routine.

I do a lot of motorway miles though so love it.

I'm not bought in to all this adaptive driving and anything that takes control away from you TBH so IMO just the normal one as a tool to aid me in certain situations but not take over. I'm sure I'm behind the times here and it's the way it's all going to but that's just my tuppence worth.
                      I'm with this, but I would like to TRY the adaptive cruise at some point. I can take or leave CC - I wouldn't not buy a car because it lacked it, but it is a nice bonus.

It's nice through some of the insanely long roadworks we have now - especially when the roads were quiet. Some of the roadworks are so sparse now that I've forgotten I'm in them for a moment or two.

Comment

Working...
                      X