• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Next time we get a boring "what laptop should I buy?" thread in Technical...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Most planes have decent 110/240V supplies in them now too, but you'll not get a 3 monitor set up onto your table.
    And that's where I see this as a solution to no known problem.
    The idea of a laptop is portability and usability - set it on your lap, a small table, or on a crowded table. It doesn't take up much space to carry or to use.
    To use a 3 screen laptop, you need a lot of space around you.
    I'd imagine the use case is hotels and remote working rather than fully mobile working.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Most planes have decent 110/240V supplies in them now too, but you'll not get a 3 monitor set up onto your table.
      The idea of a laptop is portability and usability - set it on your lap, a small table, or on a crowded table. It doesn't take up much space to carry or to use.
      It specifically aimed at gamers. Most serious players use multiple screens, and the ability to to pack it up into a portable (or at least luggable by a single person) package and take it to gaming events and competitions will be a big attraction. How many they will sell at that price is a different matter.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
        It specifically aimed at gamers. Most serious players use multiple screens, and the ability to to pack it up into a portable (or at least luggable by a single person) package and take it to gaming events and competitions will be a big attraction. How many they will sell at that price is a different matter.
        Funnily enough this got mentioned at poker last night. The serious online players have as. Many screens as possible for multitabling games so this would be spot on for when they were away. None of the guys on my table were willing to put that much down but the serious bods will be interested. Same as Dave says though. Gotta be playing seriously at that cost.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Funnily enough this got mentioned at poker last night. The serious online players have as. Many screens as possible for multitabling games so this would be spot on for when they were away. None of the guys on my table were willing to put that much down but the serious bods will be interested. Same as Dave says though. Gotta be playing seriously at that cost.
          No different to the serious gamers happily shelling out over £100 for a mouse and same for a keyboard as well as at least £400 on a graphics card.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
            I use my Windows Surface on the train, very easy and good battery life on it.
            Yes, that's a laptop. Not a desktop.

There is a big market for portable computers which you don't use on the go actually. Laptops are not only about being able to work on the move, they're about being able to transport your entire system easily. Like to your desk at work or a mate's house where you then set it up on a table like a PC. A 10Kb 21" laptop monster can be carried in a backpack, you can't get your desktop, monitor, keyboard, etc into a convenient portable setup (easily).
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              Yes, that's a laptop. Not a desktop.

There is a big market for portable computers which you don't use on the go actually. Laptops are not only about being able to work on the move, they're about being able to transport your entire system easily. Like to your desk at work or a mate's house where you then set it up on a table like a PC. A 10Kb 21" laptop monster can be carried in a backpack, you can't get your desktop, monitor, keyboard, etc into a convenient portable setup (easily).
              Could always try this bad boy - Predator 21X

Eight kilos!

qh
              He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Which one of you was responsible for this?

CES 2017: Razer three-screened laptops 'stolen' - BBC News
                Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Working...
                X