• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

If you could work anywhere...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I think I'd rather just be in Perranporth all year round - actually I'd rather be on the Lizard somewhere but that's not the point
    Lizard is the Point haha. Perranporth is dead out of season, everywhere shuts. Pirran Dairy still the best ice cream shop that I've been in though and there's a pub on the beach so what's not to love? Just a bit too quiet and a shame the Ponsmere has shut, as much for the Sunset Bar as anything else. Can't beat a pint of Rattler after a day on the beach

Newquay shrinks to about 14,000 out of season so it isn't bad. Crantock's my favourite place on that stretch though, lovely beach.

I spent the entire school summer holiday in West Cornwall in 2016 and expecting it to be horrendous was pleasantly surprised. Booked places a day or two in advance, went to the local pubs for a drink, all fine. I mean we weren't in St. Ives (although the day we went we found a nice cafe easily enough) but apart from the day we drove to the Eden project even most of the roads were OK. Possibly local knowledge helps though. And you're right about the tiny country lanes
    Daft thing is, following the old A30 in the east of the county can be quicker than the new A30 at peak times in summer - you snake either side of it but get there quicker!

I'd say April/May and September are the best months, spring is gorgeous and September is probably the least unpredictable. Apparently though September is getting busier as more people come then to avoid the rush!

Are you from down there? Sounds like you know it well, which part particularly?
    No, I'm born and bred Mancunian; we've got family in St Ives and Newquay but I've been going independently of that since I was five months old. Best place I've stayed was Baker's Folly on Pentire Headland; had the whole of the ground floor for a week. It was £900 out of season but worth every penny. Newquay has certainly changed for the worse over the longer term but has improved in the last 5 years or so. The hard part is getting rid of the idiots without sacrificing too much income. We've mostly (80%) stayed on the stretch between Perranporth and Watergate Bay as we enjoy the surfing, which makes the north coast a must. Now the kids are older, we can start going off the beaten track a bit more and discovering better restaurants when it's just the two of us.

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
    New Years swim in the sea going on.

Couldn't believe how many masochists were partaking.

We watched from the pub cradling pints of Mena Dhu.

Actually, make that tried not to watch. All that white pappy flesh wasn't a pleasant spectacle.
    Ah right; I was going to say, the two car parks only hold about 80-100 cars between them. Nicely hidden away little place, like Porthtowan near Redruth.

Give me a pint of Korev any time.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
      Lizard is the Point haha. Perranporth is dead out of season, everywhere shuts. Pirran Dairy still the best ice cream shop that I've been in though and there's a pub on the beach so what's not to love? Just a bit too quiet and a shame the Ponsmere has shut, as much for the Sunset Bar as anything else. Can't beat a pint of Rattler after a day on the beach

Newquay shrinks to about 14,000 out of season so it isn't bad. Crantock's my favourite place on that stretch though, lovely beach.

Daft thing is, following the old A30 in the east of the county can be quicker than the new A30 at peak times in summer - you snake either side of it but get there quicker!

No, I'm born and bred Mancunian; we've got family in St Ives and Newquay but I've been going independently of that since I was five months old. Best place I've stayed was Baker's Folly on Pentire Headland; had the whole of the ground floor for a week. It was £900 out of season but worth every penny. Newquay has certainly changed for the worse over the longer term but has improved in the last 5 years or so. The hard part is getting rid of the idiots without sacrificing too much income. We've mostly (80%) stayed on the stretch between Perranporth and Watergate Bay as we enjoy the surfing, which makes the north coast a must. Now the kids are older, we can start going off the beaten track a bit more and discovering better restaurants when it's just the two of us.

Ah right; I was going to say, the two car parks only hold about 80-100 cars between them. Nicely hidden away little place, like Porthtowan near Redruth.

Give me a pint of Korev any time.
      You sound very much like a North coast man.

All S coast for me. Folks are in Perranarworthal.

Comment

You sound very much like a North coast man.

All S coast for me. Folks are in Perranarworthal.
        Ah, been down the A39 through Perranarworthal on the way to Helston, Gweek, the Lizard, etc. many a time. Enjoy days out to Mevagissey, Fowey, Polperro, etc. but enjoy the surf too much for a full holiday on that side.

The best thing about Cornwall in that respect is that it's so quick to get from coast to coast if one side is copping it for the weather.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

ah figured out why you all want to go to Cornwall

Newquay plagued by pop-up brothels using holiday lets as sex dens | Daily Mail Online

British seaside town is being plagued by pop-up BROTHELS using holiday lets as sex dens...with police discovering 14 in six months
          Police have discovered 14 pop-up brothels operating in holiday lets in Newquay
          People book the accommodation and turn them into sex dens before leaving
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Ah, been down the A39 through Perranarworthal on the way to Helston, Gweek, the Lizard, etc. many a time. Enjoy days out to Mevagissey, Fowey, Polperro, etc. but enjoy the surf too much for a full holiday on that side.

The best thing about Cornwall in that respect is that it's so quick to get from coast to coast if one side is copping it for the weather.
            There are some lovely places round the Helford River. The Ferryboat is one of my favourites on a nice day out of season. The Trengillie Wartha at Constantine is another family favourite.

Comment

There are some lovely places round the Helford River. The Ferryboat is one of my favourites on a nice day out of season. The Trengillie Wartha at Constantine is another family favourite.
              Charlestown is lovely for a day out, it's just getting through St Austell later (if you forget the locals are still on a normal working day!)

Done most of the tourist stuff - Eden Project, Seal Sanctuary, Lizard, etc.

Still can't beat Healey's cider farm

Comment

Mods can you change the subject of this thread to "If you could work anywhere in SW England..."

Comment

Charlestown is lovely for a day out, it's just getting through St Austell
                  later (if you forget the locals are still on a normal working day!)

Done most of the tourist stuff - Eden Project, Seal Sanctuary, Lizard, etc.

Still can't beat Healey's cider farm
                  Been stuck in that jam many a time

Never tried Healeys. Unless they're the ones that do Cornish Rattler. Seems to be on draught in quite a few pubs now.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                    Mods can you change the subject of this thread to "If you could work anywhere west of the Tamar..."
                    FTFY

Been stuck in that jam many a time

Never tried Healeys. Unless they're the ones that do Cornish Rattler. Seems to be on draught in quite a few pubs now.
                    Healeys do indeed make Rattler. You get to try them all at the farm too. The cloudy was good and the farm restaurant is great value. They also do a good range of chutneys, jams, etc. although some of the merchandise is a bit of a rip off.

Also, related to Donald Healey, who first started car work in Perranporth.

Unfortunately I was driving last time we went.

Comment

I played in the Perranzabuloe chess club as a lad which is just inland of Peranporth but other than St.Ives and Hayle and Godrevy don't know the north coast at all.

I cycled around West Cornwall a fair bit in the summer, that was fun. Cycled Penzance to Cadgwith and stayed overnight there. The village time forgot...
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X