• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "If you could work anywhere..."

Collapse

• ccole
    replied
    Sounds like a plan.
    Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
    I'd like to have one of these.
    as an office / crashpad.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    as an office / crashpad.
    wow thats fantastic, though worry about letting the dog out for a pee.

Leave a comment:

• Pip in a Poke
    replied
    as an office / crashpad.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Depends on your skill set, but for many projects where home work is viable it is equally so for people in Bangalore who can work for 10 rupees a day or something.
    Yeah but working on site they can find those guys for £100/day. You just have to sell yourself, or find a client who understands the value you provide.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by hugebrain View Post
    Thinking of doing one of these work from home jobbies where "home" could be anywhere in the world.
    Depends on your skill set, but for many projects where home work is viable it is equally so for people in Bangalore who can work for 10 rupees a day or something.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by greenlake View Post
    Now that sounds good....

you are quick off the draw, I salute you sir.

Leave a comment:

• greenlake
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    I would work on in a hermit cave if i could.
    Now that sounds good....

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    I would work on in a hermit cave if i could.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

... within a few miles of Lands End.

God, it's remote down there. Even if you live in North Devon, it's a good two hour drive to get to Newquay or Truro.
    Very true. Durham<->Penzance is a 9 hour direct train (I used it as a student). From Durham you get to Bristol after something like 5 hours and it seems you're nearly there, but oh no there's 4 hours left. Then you get to Exeter and get a it excited but nope, still 2 hours. Even once you cross the sodding Tamar and are IN Cornwall it's something like 90 minutes to go... and that's where they close the buffet.

Even London is 5-6 hours by train. Take it from me... take the sleeper train if you are anywhere near the main line!

Leave a comment:

• Dactylion
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Essex cos you can live near the sea, in the country side, in a crap town, in a less crap town, get to an airport quickly, dye yourself orange and everyone will think it's normal....
    Mmmmmm Not a high bar you set there - A town less crap than Braintree, Clacton, Southend, Chelmsford or Basildon.... I think Saffron Walden just about qualifies.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    Mods can you change the subject of this thread to "If you could work anywhere in SW England..."

... within a few miles of Lands End.

God, it's remote down there. Even if you live in North Devon, it's a good two hour drive to get to Newquay or Truro.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I played in the Perranzabuloe chess club as a lad which is just inland of Peranporth but other than St.Ives and Hayle and Godrevy don't know the north coast at all.

I cycled around West Cornwall a fair bit in the summer, that was fun. Cycled Penzance to Cadgwith and stayed overnight there. The village time forgot...

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    Mods can you change the subject of this thread to "If you could work anywhere west of the Tamar..."
    FTFY

Been stuck in that jam many a time

Never tried Healeys. Unless they're the ones that do Cornish Rattler. Seems to be on draught in quite a few pubs now.
    Healeys do indeed make Rattler. You get to try them all at the farm too. The cloudy was good and the farm restaurant is great value. They also do a good range of chutneys, jams, etc. although some of the merchandise is a bit of a rip off.

Also, related to Donald Healey, who first started car work in Perranporth.

Unfortunately I was driving last time we went.

Leave a comment:

• Pip in a Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Charlestown is lovely for a day out, it's just getting through St Austell
    later (if you forget the locals are still on a normal working day!)

Done most of the tourist stuff - Eden Project, Seal Sanctuary, Lizard, etc.

Still can't beat Healey's cider farm
    Been stuck in that jam many a time

Never tried Healeys. Unless they're the ones that do Cornish Rattler. Seems to be on draught in quite a few pubs now.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Mods can you change the subject of this thread to "If you could work anywhere in SW England..."

Leave a comment:

Working...
X