• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Send them to live next door to remainers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    But you're forgetting that this is a complex economy, people just don't live in their bubbles.
    The missus and I work full time and have relied on, and still rely on, cleaners, nannies, gardeners .
    Without these lower paid workers, many highly paid workers would not be able to work and add value in the economy and pay the high taxes that are necessary for the country as a whole to fund its public services.
    And in terms of the tax we as a household pay, I think not only do we subsidise those working for us but a whole bunch more.
    For every professional employed there are ten further people in support roles. You remove the support roles you also remove the professional role.

For example the government puts a ban on low paid farm workers. That means some farms close and the higher paid employees go and work in the lower paid jobs on the other farms.

What you'll see when immigration is restricted is a shrinking of the economy and a lot of people having to downgrade to fill the hole.

:
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
      Fair enough, but the wealth disparity - at both ends of the scale - was a bit of a jaw dropper.
      Not really - have they separated religions by age as well?
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

My point, and the point that farmers and others have started to make post-brexit vote, is that lower skilled migration will still be needed post Brexit.
        Maybe the the real issue is tax-credits?
        I saw an interesting thing on the BBC during the small hours that this might well force factories and agriculture into automation sooner. The example was the manual weeding of certain crops that sticks in my mind. Perhaps the 'need' to import people might well be irrelevant sooner than we think.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
          For every professional employed there are ten further people in support roles. You remove the support roles you also remove the professional role.

For example the government puts a ban on low paid farm workers. That means some farms close and the higher paid employees go and work in the lower paid jobs on the other farms.

What you'll see when immigration is restricted is a shrinking of the economy and a lot of people having to downgrade to fill the hole.

:
          Thatcher was warned about this economic effect when she wanted to close down the mines.

Recently various news programs have looked into this economic effect when looking at the closing down of steel works.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            Seriously? The Jewish population - on average - having ten times the wealth of Muslims?

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              Ah the classic confounding variable... is the Muslim population compared to the Jewish substantially younger, perhaps?
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Seriously? The Jewish population - on average - having ten times the wealth of Muslims?
                Well I think the Jewish population are an outlier in that they have twice the general pop wealth anyway.
                But most of people's personal wealth is tied up in their houses.
                If Jewish people live in Hampstead and Muslims live in Haringey, it's not very surprising
                Plus the Jewish pop is substantially older, Muslims have more kids, that'll skew the figures.
                Last edited by sasguru; 15 December 2016, 11:09.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Ah the classic confounding variable... is the Muslim population compared to the Jewish substantially younger, perhaps?
                  Yes.

Statistics don't tend to be broken down enough so you can draw a useful conclusion.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    One of the reason's the leave vote won was because we tried to negotiate with the EU and they just slammed the door in our face. How do you think they would behave when they have even more power?
                    That negotiation was a sham, the terms were known to be impossible and it only happened to allow Cameron to put off the referendum he promised and delayed so many times. It was all about having the cake and eat it, and you wonder why the EU slammed the door?

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    Maybe the rest of the EU will start thinking (?)rexit and the EU might lose some of its arrogance then negotiate?
                    Or it might be the other way around, maybe the showcase of Brexit and the turmoil in UK will act as deterrent. Only time will tell.

Comment

I saw an interesting thing on the BBC during the small hours that this might well force factories and agriculture into automation sooner. The example was the manual weeding of certain crops that sticks in my mind. Perhaps the 'need' to import people might well be irrelevant sooner than we think.
                      Machines don't pay NI, and someone needs to feed the state pension ponzi scheme, low birth rates of Brits and a huge wave of "boomers" hitting pension age demands more fodder in the form of immigrants.

Comment

Working...
                      X