• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Send them to live next door to remainers"

Collapse

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Well feck off then!
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to SueEllen again.

When did I ever say I was going to leave?

Anyway, I cannot leave CUK to the mercy of sassy.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    At least one poster who when they say they are going to leave actually does so.
    Well feck off then!

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    On that note I would like to say goodbye as I think I need to get a life
    At least one poster who when they say they are going to leave actually does so.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by sal View Post
    You are talking about British tourists in Spain spending a lot of money - this is often the case. I was talking about British expats in Spain, which are rather different breed.
    So was I. I agree you that income may vary with expats.

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    We holiday in different places, I see lots of wealthy people spending cash, admittedly it used to go a lot further. Often, the British and other nationalities do get involved and are often a driving force for driving out corruption and ensuring good management.

The Spanish NHS bills the UK each year for those costs - I imagine that the Spanish ensure they make the best use of this money
    You are talking about British tourists in Spain spending a lot of money - this is often the case. I was talking about British expats in Spain, which are rather different breed.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    The Spanish NHS equivalent bills the UK for the costs of holiday makers but not OAPs or anyone who is counted as living in Spain.
    Do you have a link to back that up, genuinely interested as that isnt my understanding.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Your last part is wrong.

Once you live or expect to work in another EU country for a permanent period of time which is over 3 months then that country is responsible for your health and social care.

The Spanish are now realising how costly having lots of British OAPs is.

Oh and they can't come back here as the coalition government carefully put in Acts stopping people claiming social benefits if they hadn't lived in the UK consistently for the last 2 years.
    I hate to suggest that Vetran is right about anything, but he is in this case. Pensioners healthcare in the EEA is paid for by the NHS. My Dad is one (in France).

Moving abroad - Healthcare abroad - NHS Choices

If you are living in an EEA country or Switzerland and you receive an exportable UK pension, contribution-based Employment Support Allowance or another exportable benefit, you may be entitled to state healthcare paid for by the UK. You will need to apply for a certificate of entitlement known as an S1 form.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    We holiday in different places, I see lots of wealthy people spending cash, admittedly it used to go a lot further. Often, the British and other nationalities do get involved and are often a driving force for driving out corruption and ensuring good management.

The Spanish NHS bills the UK each year for those costs - I imagine that the Spanish ensure they make the best use of this money
    The Spanish NHS equivalent bills the UK for the costs of holiday makers but not OAPs or anyone who is counted as living in Spain.

Also many public hospitals in Spain stopped taking the EHIC so Spain was taken to the relevant European Court. I don't know if they are behaving now.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Not necessarily. Large portion of the British community in Benidorm for instance is what is called trailer trash in the US. They live in tents/caravans barely scraping a living. Another example are the pensioners that bought cheap properties in Spain and retired there, they are using a lot of the health care resources, while paying little or no local taxes.
    Spanish bill the UK for the health care costs.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Have you been to the Costas? Mostly tattoed, elderly Brits spending their small state pensions in British owned businesses in British ghettoes. While causing a huge burden on the SPanish NHS.
    Reminded me of some Muslim communities in Britain in terms of their insularity.

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    But they spend a lot of cash.
    Not necessarily. Large portion of the British community in Benidorm for instance is what is called trailer trash in the US. They live in tents/caravans barely scraping a living. Another example are the pensioners that bought cheap properties in Spain and retired there, they are using a lot of the health care resources, while paying little or no local taxes.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Your last part is wrong.

Once you live or expect to work in another EU country for a permanent period of time which is over 3 months then that country is responsible for your health and social care.

Oh and they can't come back here as the coalition government carefully put in Acts stopping people claiming social benefits if they hadn't lived in the UK consistently for the last 2 years.
    oh that's new. Thanks

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Spain is a recent joiner to the EU? Blimey and Germany fantastic facts we learn from the Bremoaners!

From the link the majority emigrating state its for work.

Agree we Brits are rubbish at speaking foreign languages. Though I don't hear much of Radical British pensioners blowing themselves up in Spain because someone forgot to respect their rights to eat Tomato Ketchup & wear hankies on their heads. Watch out for the new "Daily Mail state" that insists hanging is too good for them<Specify here> and people that misspell words need flogging.

The Spanish like the retirees because they are a net benefit spending their pensions and having their healthcare funded by the UK. My understanding though is that they expect them to pay for themselves if they need an interpreter and legal forms etc are in Spanish.
    Your last part is wrong.

BTW some EU countries are very good at making people who don't work, study, claim benefits or live on a pension go away for 24 hours so that 3 month period starts again.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    fair enough, missed the recently joined bit, them's my attention to detail skills.

It's an interesting one. I've met many people who think Germany is our natural enemy, still affected by 20th centruy history, maybe that's why.
    Language is another reason.

FTFY.
    It's coming.
    Good man, you weren't alone!

I like the Germans they have many positive things too teach us. As for Hitler who knows how the British would have reacted if we had been through the same history. However the figures say Brits don't go to Germany they prefer France & Spain much more like natural Enemies.

I truly hope not I would have been happy with a compromise but what was offered was not enough.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    There are plenty of reasons for people to move (or don't) to a different country and not all of them are economic.

One of the reasons why Brits are not moving to other EU countries is the language barrier. While the immigrants have the benefits like English being an international language thanks to the Internet and US/UK influence in the entertainment industry, compulsory foreign language in primary and secondary school and english being relatively easy to learn language. Brits have a history of over relying on others to speak english and have neglected their own foreign language skills. Most of the EE languages are completely alien, some of them even with a different alphabet - cyrillic, exacerbating the problem.

Speaking about foreigners in UK not willing to integrate or learn English, you should check the British expat communities in Spain fro example - a lot stick to themselves, speaking basic or no spanish after years in the country.
    Spain is a recent joiner to the EU? Blimey and Germany fantastic facts we learn from the Bremoaners!

From the link the majority emigrating state its for work.

Agree we Brits are rubbish at speaking foreign languages. Though I don't hear much of Radical British pensioners blowing themselves up in Spain because someone forgot to respect their rights to eat Tomato Ketchup & wear hankies on their heads. Watch out for the new "Daily Mail state" that insists hanging is too good for them<Specify here> and people that misspell words need flogging.

The Spanish like the retirees because they are a net benefit spending their pensions and having their healthcare funded by the UK. My understanding though is that they expect them to pay for themselves if they need an interpreter and legal forms etc are in Spanish.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X