• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Autumn Statement 2016

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    If your accountant provides you with a hard-copy signed copy of your annual accounts, that should count as "goods" surely.

May sound absurd, but if that is how one must game the system so be it.
    Nice try but still a service.

It would be no different than a software developer delivering their completed work on a USB stick by snail mail to the client. It's still a bespoke service.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      If your accountant provides you with a hard-copy signed copy of your annual accounts, that should count as "goods" surely.

May sound absurd, but if that is how one must game the system so be it.
      Isn't this (a bit) similar to what Sky TV used to do by dishing out a 'free' magazine with your subscription? Therefore instead of (say) £16.67 + VAT (£20) for a TV subscription, it was effectively £4 for a magazine subscription and £13.33 + VAT for a TV subscription - more money for Sky to keep, less for the VAT man.

So I'm sure some accountants might think "£800 a year for accountancy, plus a copy of your accounts printed onto some children's clothes or Jaffa Cakes for £200".
      Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Just had confirmation from HMRC that the Public Sector IR35 Legislation & Guidance will be available from 5th December.

Comment

Originally posted by lucycontractorumbrella View Post
          Just had confirmation from HMRC that the Public Sector IR35 Legislation & Guidance will be available from 5th December.
          I can beat that deadline and supply simple comprehensive advice.

Brace Yourself this is going to hurt!
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by lucycontractorumbrella View Post
            This is not a loaded Q, just interested in your view on whether there are any benefits left to being ltd?

If/when this is rolled out to private sector I may shut up the ltd, pay off the mortgage and go umbrella so I can spin what little is left on cheap wine and expensive women

Comment

think of all the lost tax when all of these Ltd companies go belly up due to the new world order and people decide to pay the mortgage before they pay the taxman....

Comment

jsut seen this

Just seen this Autumn Statement 2016: Hammond heaps on more anti-contractor measures :: Contractor UK

Anyone know what this means???

Disguised remuneration avoidance targeted

Also seemingly aimed at contractors, and due to raise some £650million -- much more than the IR35 reforms, is a new attack on ‘disguised earnings’, outlined at 4.46 of AS 2016.

“This looks like an extension to the IR35 reform proposals,” Mr Webber said. “Whilst a consultation is promised, it would be in line with recent actions if this was just a ‘technical’ consultation.

“In other words it’s a discussion on how to implement the charge, rather than whether it should be introduced.”

Both this crackdown on disguised remuneration avoidance schemes by the self-employed, and the IR35 reforms, are enough for contractors to regard AS 2016 as a 'bad' mini-Budget.
                This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by Rabotnik View Post
                  Ah, cheers, never heard of that.
                  I do hope you have heard of IR35?
                  This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
                    Nobody will know what it means until the consultation is published.

I don't think the stuff about "disguised remuneration tax avoidance schemes" will really have anything to do with us (the use of the word "scheme" is a bit of a giveaway) however the general tone towards the self-employed and other small businesses was not good.

Wait and see.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
                      Nobody will know what it means until the consultation is published.

I don't think the stuff about "disguised remuneration tax avoidance schemes" will really have anything to do with us (the use of the word "scheme" is a bit of a giveaway) however the general tone towards the self-employed and other small businesses was not good.

Wait and see.
                      But they is the party of small bizniz, innit ? That's why we all voted for them

I feel so shocked and let down.......
                      When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Working...
                      X