• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Japan job offer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Something that's coming to the surface the more I talk to people. Insular society, which is the complete opposite from the younger German population we're exposed to at the minute. The older bunch however.. a bit like elderly Brits, stuck in the past. Yes, I think the culture shock would be something else.

Perhaps they'd accept 1 month on 1 month off or something... Would like practice my photography out there.
    I found it difficult enough to handle the London based Japanese management at Hitachi Consulting last year (to be honest I think all the Westerners did).

The younger Japanese where fine, the older ones very aloof unless talking to the senior western management (oh and this was in a small open office of 30 desks).
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Don't have any. Never needed them.
      So your stupidity is natural rather than gleaned from looking at the pictures in books?
      Well done!

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
        So your stupidity is natural rather than gleaned from looking at the pictures in books?
        Well done!

Stupidly amazing.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Nagoya
          Nice place. Easy to get to Tokyo or Kyoto.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Went to the World Cup in 2002, crazy place but really enjoyed it. Learn the lingo (or at least enough to get you around, being polite, etc.) The locals will love you for it. I found Osaka nicer than Tokyo.

Get a local girlfriend, you won't regret it.

qh
            He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
              Learn the lingo (or at least enough to get you around, being polite, etc.) The locals will love you for it. I found Osaka nicer than Tokyo.
              Osaka is far nicer.
              One of the waitresses in our hotel bar would give us a piece of paper every evening with new words on it, the most useful we had on Tuesday night was "same again please" - one of the permies held on to the paper, but I'll get a copy so I remember for the next time
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

The thing about doing oversea gigs is, you are adding an extra level of complexity to your normal endeavours. You will be in a more junior role than you could get if you could speak the lingo, and you won't know what's being said about you- so if you are sensitive, watch out babe.

I've done some gigs in Asia. You've got to contend with daily hangovers for a start. All that bamboo that you will be ploughing don't come for free neither. It all adds up. I sustained a personal injury to my tongue over there that still blights me today.

Comment

Originally posted by Fronttoback View Post
                  The thing about doing oversea gigs is, you are adding an extra level of complexity to your normal endeavours. You will be in a more junior role than you could get if you could speak the lingo, and you won't know what's being said about you- so if you are sensitive, watch out babe.
                  Surely not? I mean what self-respecting Nipponese Company would import an Under-Janitor from the arse-end of the Highlands when they could probably teach a dray-horse to do the work in half the time?

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                    Surely not? I mean what self-respecting Nipponese Company would import an Under-Janitor from the arse-end of the Highlands when they could probably teach a dray-horse to do the work in half the time?

Bad times for dray-horses I guess. What's you excuse?
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I believe the Japanese are going to love you far more than we ever can.....

Go
                      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                      X