• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Japan job offer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Surely not? I mean what self-respecting Nipponese Company would import an Under-Janitor from the arse-end of the Highlands when they could probably teach a dray-horse to do the work in half the time?

NLYUK is branching out, you can get the extreme experience from a genuine scot for a few Japanese coins at a port near you.

She is calling it "Beyond our Yen".
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

The problem with Japan is that unless you're in a very senior position, you won't get much respect. I know what you're thinking, "I'm white and in Asia", but that doesn't work in Japan.

Comment

Originally posted by blackeye View Post
        The problem with Japan is that unless you're in a very senior position, you won't get much respect. I know what you're thinking, "I'm white and in Asia", but that doesn't work in Japan.
        Where in Japan did you work that you found this lack of respect?
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          Depends which side of the Glory Hole....

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
            Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            Depends which side of the Glory Hole....
            That's why the bathroom signs are in English too....

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
              1-year contract, $200k US, school fees + apartment paid for, $10k golden handshake

Tempted but still thinking Bavaria is the better option. Anyone else here had experience of living in Japan with family? What were your experiences?

Thinking the better option is to remain in Germany to get my passport in the couple of years before Wrexit kicks in.
              If you're sure they can afford your school fees, then go for it. You might be digging deep into that 200k though, but if you like sushi, hell, what else (aside from your dwindling dignity) can you possibly lose?
              His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                If you're sure they can afford your school fees, then go for it. You might be digging deep into that 200k though, but if you like sushi, hell, what else (aside from your dwindling dignity) can you possibly lose?
                Weight.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                  1-year contract, $200k US, school fees + apartment paid for, $10k golden handshake

Tempted but still thinking Bavaria is the better option. Anyone else here had experience of living in Japan with family? What were your experiences?

Thinking the better option is to remain in Germany to get my passport in the couple of years before Wrexit kicks in.
                  My experience in Japan goes waaaaay back (94-96) and further North. Outside Tokyo, women were 2nd-class citizens, blokes were quite chauvinistic. I hear things have improved now, but your wife may want to mentally prepare herself.

Ditto other comments re learning the language, it would be a big plus. It's not as difficult as you might think if you put a bit of study in, it's not tonal in the way Chinese/Mandarin are.

I'm planning a return trip for the rugby in '19, time to dust off the textbooks I think.

Comment

Working...
                  X