• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bicycle Lorry deaths

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    According to WHO, we are the 4th lowest country in the world for road fatalities (behind the Maldives, Sweden & Norway).

If we take the figure to 100,000 lorries/buses on the road and multiply that by £1k, we get £100million. That's the cost to fit all the current lorries/buses with the devices.
    Will that stop all cycle deaths on the road? No.

Will it reduce the number of accidents? Possibly.
    If a cyclist knows that if they try to squeeze through a gap, the lorry driver will be to blame for hitting them because of the video/sensors/etc, will it make a cyclist more or less likely to try to do so?

How about fitting the vehicles with speaker that announce the vehicle is turning (in the same way they have it with reversing)?
    Indeed we are winning the accident war.

£100M = 1 year of Lorry / cycle accidents according to the link I posted so yes its a real number we can work with.As I said I suspect the fleets will want to fit enhancements at this cost.

Sounds like a great idea, Turning left announcement & flashing lights on side of trailer.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Still fail to see how all of that tech will stop a determined suicide rider.

H+S is there to protect the unwary, not to stop the determined.

Comment

+1 for more warnings on the vehicle that is turning/about to turn

+1 for cyclists being mad cyclists and their desire to remove themselves from the gene pool

Put the first into place and you *should* be left with only the risk-takers shuffling off their mortal coils. It's very much a meet each other half way operation.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post

Put the first into place and you *should* be left with only the risk-takers shuffling off their mortal coils. It's very much a Darwinian Solution.
          FTFY

Comment

Relevant:
            Drivers to blame for two-thirds of bicycle collisions in Westminster | London Evening Standard

Comment

Interesting, assuming its a balanced study not blaming the driver for being on the same road then that is a worry.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
                I don't need to because surely you understand normal road markings?

If the cycle lane has a give way at the junction - and they sometimes do - then they should give way to other vehicles turning in and out of the junction.

If the cycle lane is continuous with no give way markings and marked with a solid white line then they do not have to give way at junctions, ergo they have priority.

In fact some cycle lanes, constantly have give way markings which is why some cyclists don't use them. Some alternate (CS3 along Cable St from Tower Hill comes to mind) between cyclists and other vehicles having priority.

But it must surely be common sense that you cannot just cross a lane of traffic without giving way to vehicles in that lane unless the road markings indicate otherwise? The same applies if you're turning right across the opposite carriageway or left across a bus or cycle lane.
                Still waiting for the actual text to back your assumption up but I will be waiting for ever because it is not what the code says.

But in the mean time that white line works both ways. Meaning cyclists should pay the traffic on the other side of it courtesy when they pull out of the lane to avoid obstacles...

Nice thought but not like that ever happens. Instead the riders weave in and out without any signals or indication of what they are doing.

But drivers in London have become a pretty tulip bunch of road users. It's common for drivers to swerve lane oblivious to what is in it at the time. So maybe the cyclists habits are rubbing off.

If I am in the car and somebody pulls into my lane regardless of if the car driver manoeuvred properly, I adjust my speed and correct my car to avoid an accident.

Instead Cyclists seem to go for the sod it i will plow in regardless approach. If someone is 30 foot ahead of you and signalling to turn you have plenty of time to adjust your speed.

As others have said it needs to be a symbiotic approach. I don't overtake cyclists that I am turning across or pull out in front of them. I expect them to reduce their speed and allow turning traffic to pass without tantrums but more importantly I expect them to take their health into account more than their perception of risk.

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
                  Still waiting for the actual text to back your assumption up but I will be waiting for ever because it is not what the code says.

But in the mean time that white line works both ways. Meaning cyclists should pay the traffic on the other side of it courtesy when they pull out of the lane to avoid obstacles...

Nice thought but not like that ever happens. Instead the riders weave in and out without any signals or indication of what they are doing.
                  Then they will get squashed and when they do because lots of drivers now have dashcams the driver won't be responsible.

But drivers in London have become a pretty tulip bunch of road users. It's common for drivers to swerve lane oblivious to what is in it at the time. So maybe the cyclists habits are rubbing off.
                  No pedestrians started it first by walking out and expecting any other road user to immediately brake.

If I am in the car and somebody pulls into my lane regardless of if the car driver manoeuvred properly, I adjust my speed and correct my car to avoid an accident.

Instead Cyclists seem to go for the sod it i will plow in regardless approach. If someone is 30 foot ahead of you and signalling to turn you have plenty of time to adjust your speed.

As others have said it needs to be a symbiotic approach. I don't overtake cyclists that I am turning across or pull out in front of them. I expect them to reduce their speed and allow turning traffic to pass without tantrums but more importantly I expect them to take their health into account more than their perception of risk.
                  One thing you are forgetting in a car it is easier to brake than on a bike especially with the tulipty road surfaces. However it doesn't excuse the idiots I've linked to in the videos as the cars have indicated with loads of time because they know cyclists and bikers are there.

I suspect the inability of cyclists to notice the signals are due to them not having a driving licence or attending a free/cheap cycling in traffic course. Personally I know a few people who until they got their driving licence, because bikeabilty/cycling in traffic courses weren't held everywhere, they didn't realise how dangerous their cycling was.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    Interesting, assuming its a balanced study not blaming the driver for being on the same road then that is a worry.
                    There is research like this linky and information like this linky which explains why you aren't seen when riding a bike. Motorcyclists are more aware of this as they are taught that people aren't looking out for them.

Oh and this is interesting as well linky
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      Then they will get squashed and when they do because lots of drivers now have dashcams the driver won't be responsible.

No pedestrians started it first by walking out and expecting any other road user to immediately brake.
                      Yeah foot came before wheel so at a basic subconscious level foot beats wheel

Comment

Working...
                      X